1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

frustrated with nipping and potty training

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by IHeartShihPoo, Dec 11, 2004.

1. IHeartShihPoo

IHeartShihPoo New Member

I just brought lobo the 9 week old shihpoo home last week. I wonder if he's what you call an "alpha male". He bites my hand and everytime he sees a foot move he pounces on it and bites your toes and jeans. I yelp and yell no, even ignore him...but he continues to do all of this. When he's not chewing on my hands or feet he is finding anything else to chew. I offer him his toy and he seems interested in it for a while, then wanders off to chew something else. It drives my whole family crazy that we are relieved when he falls asleep. Potty training is another issue. He knows to go outside because he seems to do his business right away on the grass then come back inside, but occassionally he would pick any spot on the carpet and go. I try to catch him in the act so I could yell no but it's always too late. He's had quite a few accidents already and I'm afraid he's already developed a sense that it's ok to go inside =/

2. nern

nern New Member

I dont think his actions have anything to do with being an "alpha male". Excessive chewing and biting is common puppy behavior and fortunatly it subsides a great deal once they lose their puppy teeth. In the meantime, he needs to be well supervised and each time he chews things you don't want him to chew you will need to redirect him to a proper thing to chew. Kongs work well and keep most puppies and dogs occupied for hours. Tire him out as much as you can while incouraging him to chew and play with the toys you have for him....a tired puppy is a well behaved puppy. :wink:
    Here is a great article on teaching bite inhibition:

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

Do you praise him the second he finishes "going" outside?
    Keep your eyes on him at all times while he is roaming in the house this way you can watch for signals that he is about to go and you can get him outside in time. If you see him about to go inside make a noise to startle him (scolding is not necessary) and get him outside. Take him outside frequently especially after playing, eating or napping...if he goes to the bathroom approx 30 minutes after coming in from outside then you should try to take him out every 30 minutes. As long as you are consistant he should pick up on house training just fine. Good luck.

3. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

He's still really young, it can take months to completely housetrain.
    My dog is a Shih-chon (Shih Tzu-Bichon mix)...and pretty small. She's now 6 months and weighs 8 pounds. It took me 2 to 2 1/2 months to completely train her.

Take him out at least every hour, on a leash. When you take him out on a leash he knows it's to do business, and not to play. Stay in one area...and say "Go Potty". If he goes, give him a treat and praise like a maniac. (I always said "GOOD go potty outside!!!" ) Bring him back in right away.
    If he doesn't go, take him back in, watch like a hawk, and take him back out in 15 minutes to try again. Repeat until he goes..
    A clicker works well too....click when he goes, along with treat and praise.
    Molly used to go, then we she heard the click, would run to me for her treat and praise.
    It is a LOT of work. I thought I was going to go nuts taking her out that often...but now, it's great! We hung a bell on the door and she would either ring it, sit by the front door, or come and jump on my leg when she had to go. Then we put in a doggy door system, and she goes out by herself now. (It is the best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :y_the_best: )
    IF you use the bell, everytime you take him out, go to the door, take his paw and ring the bell with it (or you can ring it with your foot), and say "Outside?". If and when he rings the bell on his own, immediately take him out to the other side of the door, treat and praise...saying "Good outside!" Then head to the potty area.

I say to take him out on a leash, because with Molly, if I didn't she'd run around and play. When she figured out that I wasn't going to take her off the leash...she knew I was expecting her to do something....and once she did, we could go back inside to play.

Like I said...it is a lot of work for a couple months, but if you stay consistant, it'll work and you'll be so happy once he's trained! It'll seem like you spend your entire day going in and out, in and out. Don't get discouraged, just keep with the program. I had days I wondered if I had made a mistake getting a little dog...I had never had to housetrain before, and before I got her, it was my biggest concern. But now, I realize how much the time I spent and hard work paid off.

Molly was very mouthy also, especially with our hands and feet. She also liked to dive for noses and ears. DH and DD ended up bloodied a few times!
    I would make a yelping sound and tell her "NO BITE"...and move away from her. It helped some, but what helped the most was her getting older. She seemed to outgrow it all.
    She used to chew on electrical cords and furniture too...I used Bitter Apple spray. She outgrew that too, especially since she lost all her baby teeth.

Well, I hope some of what I said will help you...good luck! :p

4. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Crate training might be another option if too many accidents are happening inside. Just make sure never to use the crate as punishment...more like a cozy sleeping spot with a soft towel and a toy.

5. IHeartShihPoo

IHeartShihPoo New Member

you guys have no idea how much you've helped me! Thanks sooo much! Mollysmom, do you let molly go around the house now when you are away? or do you keep her in a crate? thanks again soooo much!

6. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

Yes., actually, I just started doing that. But she is limited to the living room/kitchen area, and my bedroom.
    Once, I didn't get back until it was dark, and hadn't left a light on for her. That was a mistake, because either she couldn't see to get to the doggy door, or she was scared, because she left me a mess. I guess if I can't see where I'm going in the dark, neither can she!!
    Yesterday, I left the door to the downstairs (finished basement), open...thinking that I would let her check it out. Normally, we don't let her go down there, because it's our cats domain...and I don't want her getting into the litter boxes.
    Well, she left us a doodle down there. Apparently she doesn't view the downstairs as part of her "den". Guess she's not quite ready for access to the entire house.
    But, those were rare occurences, and mostly my fault...I should have left a light on, and watched her more closely downstairs.