1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Funny lips

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by emzg07, May 2, 2004.

1. emzg07

emzg07 New Member

My red zebra's mouth is looking weird. His lips are puffy and he kind of looks swollen. Any idea what might be wrong?
    ~Emmie

2. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

Besides being puffy, do the lips have any other symptoms? Are the becoming whitish or cotton-like? Is it acting "normal" and doing its usual routines? Is it eating, does the fish seem the same colour as usual? I need some more info to better help you. A little aquarium salt (not iodized) helps many mild ailments and many aquarists have a little of it in their freshwater tanks at all times like when adding new fish or doing water changes. Also what are the parameters on your water like, such as Ammonia, nitrite, etc?

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

what fishes are in the tank, what is the size of the tank, any previous symptoms?

4. emzg07

emzg07 New Member

He is in a 55 gal tank with 2 other cichlids and 2 rope fish. He is usually the bully in the tank but for the past few days he has been kind of calm and hasn't been eating. I have already added some salt and the ph and everything else looks normal. His coloration is just as bright as ever... no white spots or anything.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Maybe he was lip locking with one of the other fish and it's just bruised.

It still might not be a bad idea to treat for flexibacter/mouth rot with Maracyn.

-Chelle

6. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Just a thought. :-#

She might (emphasis on might) be carrying eggs in her mouth. Their lips may look very puffy and weird when they do.

Red Zebras are mouth brooders, meaning the female holds the eggs after spawning, in her mouth. She may hold them for up to 3-4 weeks before releasing them from her mouth. The females do not eat for this period, and can become extremely weak and vulnerable.

7. Auspetian

Heres a few pictures of a red zebra female incubating her eggs.
    Doe's your zebra look like that :?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a red zebra - some other type of cichlid incubating
    [​IMG]

8. OneWolvesDream

Auspetian is right, some fishes do incubate eggs in their mouths. it may look asif they were punched right in the mouth. keep a close eye on them and see what happens over the next few weeks

9. emzg07

emzg07 New Member

Yeah I was thinking that might be the case.. but when and how will I know for sure? And what should I do if she does have babies in her mouth? Would it be best to leave her in the tank or move her into a seperate tank by herself until the babies come out? I'd hate for them to become a snack :|

10. OneWolvesDream

maybe ask a vet, you cant trust everyone, otherwise go get another tank and seperate it ot now but make sure there is little to none stress

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I just re-read your post and noticed that you said "he" hasn't been eating so "he" could very well be holding.

It it actually the lips that loos swollen or the throat?

I have pics of a few of my fish when they're holding & when they're not holding. Unfortunately my web server is offline right now but I'll see if I can find another place to host them so I can post them here.

-Chelle

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

See how when they're not holding their throat is even with the bottom of their gill plates? But when they're holding it sticks out below the gill plate.

-Chelle

13. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Hope your fish is just holding, that would be great.

Just wondering, if your fish is holding, how do you move it to another tank? Do you just grap a net and take her out or do u do something different?

14. Auspetian

I would not worry about moving her at that stage. Red zebra’s (as well as most cichlids) are known to be a great protectors of their young and can take care of them in even crowded tanks. 80% of fry should survive, mum and dad will protect them furiously.

No need to move her. Just make sure you have enough rocks/caves and hiding places and they should do just fine. Keep an eye on her and let us know.

P.S.
    Incubation takes approx 3-4 weeks. Doe's your fish looks anything like the pictures we posted?

15. J_acon

J_acon New Member

:mrgreen: I don't have cichlids at the moment, but really interested in them specially after seeing the fry group from Chelle :D