1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Funny Story

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by GodsChld, Aug 31, 2004.

1. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

So i have had my oscar now for about a month and a half, 2 months.....he started off really shy but has now come out of his shell.....i heard people talking about them eating from your hand and what not,and thought it would be a pain in the butt to train him.....well i was wrong.....he now jumps out of the water to grab food from my hand....pretty cool.....but here is his new trick, or should i say annoying thing he does to me

I feed my fish 2 times a day....once when i leave for work (730-8am) and then once later in the evening (730-8pm)......basically every 12 hours......well my oscar now at around 5 or 6 decides he is hungry NOW and will proceed to jump out of the water and bang on the top of the cover (the part that opens) so that is pops open and then slams shut making a banging noise......at first i thought there was something wrong with him.....he did this for a couple days straight.....until two days ago when i had to leave earlier and would not be back, so i fed him a bit early....he was banging on the top for a little bit and as soon as i fed him he stopped.......so the next time he did this i tested the theory and fed him, and again he stopped for the rest of the night.......basically he is now in charge and tells ME when he is ready to eat.....

Has this happened to anyone else or did i just get 'lucky'

Oh and now i am putting him back on his regular schedule and like a lil child he can cry all he wants but he will get his pelets when I SAY!!! ;)

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

:0017: :m26:

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Lucky lol. Thats pretty cute. Maybe you could take the covers just right off lol. I am sure there are all sorts of funny stories about Oscars. Maybe people could post their interesting or funny Oscar stories.

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Wow, thats cool, im amazed he does that, most fish have no clue about when they are full.

5. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

i dont think he knows when he is full, but he may know when he was hungry.....i could not believe it either....def a cool fish

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Maybe you should tape the Lid down! that will be a surprise for him when he goes to make some noise :lol: But I think i would tape it down so he doesnt jump out :mrgreen: :y_the_best:

7. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

lol.....now that is not very nice.....although would teach him a lesson ;)

i dont think he will jump out.....he just does it then goes back under.....i watched him one day.....if it gets bad then i guess i will have to.....good advice though....thanks!!!

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Hehehe yah it would be pretty evil but... lol

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It's a really really really bad idea to encourage large fish like oscars to jump. They can easily knock the lid open and land on the floor. And if you're not around at the time, you could end up with a dead oscar.

I never encouraged my oscar to jump, but a while back Sherbert got spooked and jumped out in the middle of the night (even though I though the glass lid was too heavy for her to knock open). She flopped about 4' across the floor and layed there for 10 mintues before I decided to investigate (originally just thought it was the cats playing - yes, she layed there with 4 cats roaming the house). Luckily she made a full recovery, but if one of the cats had found her or I hadn't of investigated and she laid there until the morning, she would have died.

I now keep the lid to her tank secured with velcro. It doesn't look all that pretty, but at least it keep her where she belongs.

-Chelle