1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Gelding vs Stallion?

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Lynelle, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Lynelle

Lynelle New Member

Not sure what to do.....I am buying a beautiful Tennesse Walker foal that is currently three months old. He is black and white spotted, his head being mostly black, with a white star. He has two blue eyes, which contrast beautifully against the black of his face. I may be partial, but I think he is the most georgous horse I have ever seen!!! I am a good rider, but I have never actually owned a horse. I am torn though, He is so beautiful that I hate to geld him. Some people tell me I should definatley geld him with out a question. Other people tell me there are stallions out there that are well behaved. I do not want to ruin a good thing - either way. Some advice please......is he an unusual horse in his color, or are there a million out there just like him?????

2. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

Unless you plan on using him for breeding, there is no point ln keeping him a stud. Even the most well-behaved stallions have their days. And as well-trained as they may be, they are more high-strung and tempermental than a gelding. As well as unpredictable. Also, if you are not going to keep him on your land, it is often harder to find a place to board a stud. If you do plan on breeding him, you need to take into consideration his temperment, breeding, and confirmation. Also, if he's not registered, there's less point to standing him.

3. Flamin_Hooves

Flamin_Hooves New Member

4. horse_child

horse_child New Member

your desicion all depends on your situation. Unless you are going to use him as a stud, get him gelded. Yes, I'm sure he's REALLY cute right now, they all are. But when he grows into a 1 ton animal it won't be so cute when he runs over you. If you keep him on your own property he cannot be penned with either a mare or a gelding. No mare for obvious reasons and i wouldn't risk my gelding's life to see if a stud can handle him. Also if he sees a bunch of mares in heat, chance are he'll do everything in his power to get to them. Also, i have a proud cut gelding and when it's spring and the "love" is flying he is a pain in the butt to ride. He's always showing off to the "girls" in the next pen, and i'm a good rider. he's nothing i can't handle, but if he tries to mount a mare with me on him, that's when the trouble starts. (he hasn't done that yet) just a few thoughts, and if you decide to leave him a stud and then can't handle it, then getting him gelded at , say, age 8. Chances of him acting like a stud for the rest of his life is high. but you may also have that one in a million horse. Good luck!!!!

5. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Depends on what you want out of the horse. Do you want a show/breeding Stud? And like said before yes their cute when their little but horses change as the grow. ALso its kind of tough of deciding wether to geld him or not unless you know a bit about his blood lines. Do his parents have good reputations in the show ring or whatever your planning on doing with him? And does he have a great deal of their characteristics in him that would make him a worthy stud. Wether your wanting to show him big time does not matter because the buyer of the foal may be and will not be interested and a badly bred foal. Don't get me wrong having a stallion is great. My brother has a 10 year old QH Stallion stud named TB and hes a big sweety but has his days.

Personally i think you should just geld him unless you really want him to be a stud. Geldings have alot less bad days then stallions and are much safer. But its all up to you.