1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a New Kitten... he's Blind

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by EternalFlame, Aug 17, 2004.

1. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

Greetings all...

Since i am getting a very special kitten tomorrow night i thought i would get involved in a discussion group such as this.

i am an X veterniary assistant and have been around animals all my life- being a country girl. i love them to death.

Anyways, i had been inadvertantly looking for a short haired , male, orange kitten... deciding whent he time was 'right' one would be there for me.

one day i found an add in the paper saying a woman had some kittens to give away but one had a disability... i read on, and it gave the description and i just 'knew' then i read he was blind and instantly i thought of all the possible 'good intention' homes he might end up in.

so i called up the woman (long distance, she lives about an hour or more away- i'm not yet exactly sure) and told her about myself and asked about the kitten.

She said he was doing well, is playing, eating and even littler box trained already. i expressed my interest and she said she had someone that might want him- but she'd call if things didnt work out.

i advised her if someone had to be 'talked into' taking him, it probally would not be a very good home, as he is going to need special care.

2 days later when i thought for sure he was gone i got a call. she said the one who was gonna take him didnt show up, and that she had had 4 other calls for him, but i sounded like the best choice! :eek:

The kitten has microphthalmia, which means he was born blind, with eyes that never developed fully.

i have been researching other ppls oppinions for raising a blind kitten, and was wondering what everyone here might add to my building knowledge.

My husband works- i am a stay at home wife and do art work on comission. We have 2 birds, a disabled cockatiel (he can't fly, but is still a happy and active 17 yrs old) a budgie, and an adult male cat which has supurb temperment.

2. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Congrats!!! The world needs more homes like yours. I don't know anything for sure about raising a blind kitten. I would, however put some sort of rug or something he can feels under his litter box, so he has some feel of were he is. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :y_the_best:

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Hi and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have quite the home. Good luck with the new addition and keep us posted with updates and pictures!

4. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

Thank u both.

Child> helping him to find the litter box is going to be interesting hehehe but i'm sure it'll be ok.

halaroo> dont worry! i shall update his progress (i'm gonna name him Razberry heh) and provide lots of pictures.

that handsome devil in my avatar is our cat, Lex. :)

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hello and welcome. :D This kitty sounds like it's going to a wonderful home. That's always so nice to hear. The only advice I could offer you, is that you can't move things/furniture around all the time, as the kitten will get confused as to where in the house he is. I would also suggest placing certain scents in different parts of the house so he knows what rooms he's in and what is located in each room, until he becomes accustomed to his surroundings. An example of this would be using different scented candles (unlit of course) or always having certain types of fresh cut flowers particular rooms (out of reach of course) or open bars of different scented soaps (again out of reach to kitty). You can get creative with your scents. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new fur baby.

6. vene

vene New Member

:m23: Congrats! I'm very happy for you and your new kitty! Pics please!

7. nern

nern New Member

Congrats on your new kitten...sounds like he will have the perfect home with you. :D

8. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:eek: :eek: wow!!!! what a wonderful meowmy you are...and are going to be!!! do you have him yet??? cant wait to see pictures...

welcome to auspet kitty forum. :m10: the suggestions that have been given so far are great. i had to laugh at horse child...she has the funniest posts sometimes...and some very creative ideas that most people dont think of! :wink: :p

i was thinking about smell too. i would imagine he will be fine. after bumping into a few things...he will learn the lay of the land. i did tear up though...thinking about it. i just hurt when i hear sad stories about animals. but he doesnt know its sad!!! he thinks its normal!!! well...he probably doesnt really "think" about it :oops: :oops: thats a little silly i suppose.... :roll:

BUT!!! YOU GET MY DRIFT!!! :y_the_best:

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

how sweet of you....so many people avoid less than purrfect kittens. You are doing a really nice thing

group hug 8)

10. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

:oops: thank u everyone....

i'm getting something called ... gee now i forget... well it's like Advantage but it sees to all the possible buggy problems, fleas, mites, worms... whole package deal. i wanna be sure he's 'cleared' heh coz we dont need any little hitch hikers to infest the place.

But thank u all for your kind words... i'll get some pictures tonight and share them with u!

and i remembered the name of the stuf, "Resolution"?.... i think...? i cant remember lol

the idea about scented rooms was great!! i shall have to pick up some happy smelly things today as well.

my budgie is talking behind me now hehe anyways ttyl all.

11. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi eternal flame...i just wanted to add that i love your avatar. lex is adorable!!! :wink:

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

p.s. here is the group hug that mary was talking about!!

:m21:

:wink:

13. vene

vene New Member

How did you get the name Eternal Flame? Not after Bangles' Eternal Flame? Your post and the replies are so funny! :p

14. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:eek: I LOVE THE BANGLES!!!! reminds me of okinawa 1985.....

that is the year we found otis!!!

[​IMG]

"walk like an egyptian....walk like an egyptian...." :0018:

15. vene

vene New Member

Awww Lynn. I love Otis' pic! I've only been to 1 rock concert and that was the Bangles at U of R back in '87. They are awesome! :0019:

16. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i sure loved that cat....man!!! more than i can tell ya...

:kiss_heart:

p.s. he was about eighteen years old in that photo...looks pretty good, huh?

p.s.s. sorry eternal flame...dont mean to get off your topic. :oops:

17. vene

vene New Member

Me too! :oops:

18. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

teehee thats ok

here's a picture.. it's bad.. but the little thing would not hold still.
    he seems to love his bell ball (when he can find it) and when playing with it u would never guess he was blind.

[​IMG]

he's chewing on my pant leg right now. Lex is watching like he's a mouse or something.

things are going alright, just been home an hour.

Lex seems to enjoy batting (lightly) at the kitten, never with claws and never harshly...i'm watching them both like a hawk.

i will post better pictures when he decided to hold still or i get my regular camera film developed.

Otis looked like a pretty handsome cat. i can imagine how much he is missed.

oh, and i just made up my nic.. i run a vampire rpg site.. so it kinda fit heh

my other nic is NightSpirit but it somehow didnt seem appropriate for this forum. :lol:

19. halaroo

halaroo New Member

He's adorable!!! You're going to have so much fun and learn a lot from him, I'm sure. :eek:

20. vene

vene New Member

Razberry looks so cute! :eek: My Pumpkin was a little blur too at that age. They are so full of energy. Enjoy! :qm2: