1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Laika To Lay Down?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lanena322, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Hello everyone, im hoping i can get some good advice on this topic, since i think Laika is old enough to start some basic commands with.

Laika has mastered the 'sit'. I first noticed that when I was going to give her the food she wouldnt go crazy like Nana does, instead she'd just sit and stare intently. So right before she would sit i'd say sit, and now before meals i'll tell her sit, before going on a walk, before i'll throw the ball etc. Well sit is getting quite boring, I was wondering how I could teach her the down? she doesnt lay down much, and I dont want to give her treats to teach her. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Laika is finally adjusting to our home, she is letting her true colors show :) She is barking more, playing more, and I believe she is bonding to me. I just discovered her biggest pet peeve: Laika hates to have her muzzle touched, it will send her into a growling/barking fit until I tell her 'Ya' which is like 'enough' and then she'll cuddle into my lap.

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I taught Harley to lay down by sitting on the ground with her and I had a toy with me. I would show her the toy, and slowly lower it to the ground, when I would notice her start to slouch to lay down I would take her two front paws and pull them towards me while I said down. Now, if she's being stubborn and won't go down I jsut have to go to her and move my hand to the floor and repeat the command.

Good Luck

3. Maisey

Maisey New Member

I haven't been on the board much lately so I am not sure if there is a reason you don't want to use treats for teaching or not, but it really can make things very simple and can be phased out later. Try using a toy instead....ask for the sit and then with the toy in your hand move your hand down to the floor in front of the dog saying "down". Keep the toy tucked behind your fingers so the dog can't get it until you give it as a reward. If she/he won't lay on her own doing this, grasp her front legs gently and pull her down so her body is positioned in a down. Hold it for a brief moment and say "OK, Good girl" very excitedly. "OK" is my release comand for my dogs...you can use whatever you want. If the toy doesn't work, you will need to find what motivator your dog responds to and use that. Using both hand signals and voice command at the same time is my preference, that way they know both and they can be used in different situations. When she has the "down" mastered, mix up the sit and down or she will start to anticipate the string of commands and do them before you ask.
    Using a really good treat makes this process so much easier for most dogs, my dogs learned with treats and now do many tricks and commands without the need for treats, sometimes I give them and sometimes I don't...they never know, but always respond. Make it a fun thing always, never yell or be so firm that a dog starts to hate to do the action. My dogs love to work and learn new things.
    Good luck, Maisey

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

No food no toys and my guys lay down when told. You have the sit command so it's just sit first and then there are a couple ways for the down command to be done. On one knee to the side of your dog say sit then with one full motion take your hand place it in back of the front legs and gentility lift and slide them out and forward and with your other hand on the back shoulders push down and say down. After the dog is down do not remove your hand just yet from the shoulders, keep downward pressure on them. You should take your other hand palm down and reach out in front of them so they can see your hand wave it up and down slow saying down. One other way is with leash, I tell people to do this with care and if your dog resists not to push it further.
    Standing next to your dog with leash in hand and hanging down to your foot, place it under your foot so the you can pull up on it making it taught from your dogs collar not hanging near the face give the command sit and wait a moment and then pull the leash under your foot saying down and pushing if you can reach your dogs shoulders with your other hand. Do not I repeat do not force your dog down if they resist going down. Come back later and try once more, you may have to repeat this a few times before they respond to your command. Since you have the sit command you should consider the stay command to. I work only with what I call soft touch and never raise my voice. The key to any training in my opinion is Patients, Persistence and above all Love.
    I have tried to explain how to do the down command best as possible here but keep in mind writing it and doing it in person well do I need to explain the differences.
    This how I work and I am sure there are hundred other ways others do it, so I say to that each to there own. As long as there is PPL it's ok with me.
    2pyrs

5. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Thank you everyone, you have all been a big help. I have started on what 2pyrs told me, getting her into a sit and then putting her into a down with my hands.

I did not want to use treats or toys as the base of my training, since I wouldnt want her to get to expecting it. But I do throw her a ball or a treat once in a while but she absolutely loves praise and petting so I will keep on with that. Thank you everyone, you have all been a great help, I know I can always come here to get some good advice!

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think if I had a dog that responded well to praise, I would not use treats either. But since Nala cares about nothing BUT treats, I use the treats. As Maisey said, I phase them out after she knows the command.

I used treats to lure Nala into a down. With Bonnie, that didn't work. I ended up doing what 2pyrs said - I stepped on the leash close to her collar so that her head was down. She resisted but had nowhere else to go. I just waited her out - in less than a minute she decided to lie down. Then I would praise the living heck out of her. A couple sessions like this and she now does it without me touching her.

Jamiya