1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

getting post-parvo dog to eat

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hello all. I think Ashley is going to recover! She is keeping everything down, but she won't eat on her own. I am syringe feeding her Rebound. I have offered human baby food (chicken), Hill's I/D, Hill's A/D, liver puree, a few pieces of real cooked chicken in broth, and of course Rebound. She sniffs but doesn't eat. She gets really excited when I feed Mary Kate, but I even offered her a couple kibbles and she wouldn't eat them. She did lick the baby food just a tiny bit this morning but nothing since then.

Will she eventually just start on her own? Is there anything else I can do to encourage her? I tried warming the chicken and broth so it smelled better, but she wasn't impressed.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Since she's acting intrested, just give her time. Her tummy might be still feeling icky from all the meds, and being empty so long. She'll come around. Just keep doing what your doing.
    Are you leaving food out for her at all times? Perhaps leaving a little moistned kibble out for her, it might intise her to eat it later.
    (you know how you make something, then you don't want it but you let it sit out and sooner or later you'll eat some of it?)

Has she been able to keep down any Nutrical?

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yes, she can keep down some Nutrical. I have been giving her mostly Rebound so she is getting hydrated at the same time she is eating. Nutrical alone wouldn't be enough fluids. I just popped some bite-sized pieces of I/D into her mouth and she chewed them up and ate them, but wouldn't eat them out of the bowl. I do have a small variety in her pen for her.

I am still giving Reglan, but I am starting to spread it out a little to try to wean her off.

Should I try to exercise her a little? She goes out and pees and walks a little, but maybe a little more would stimulate her? Or is it too soon?

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Jamiya thats awesome, I would just do whatever it takes for now to get her to eat, it might mean hand feeding her or feeding her when Mary Kate is there (possible instinctive competing for food), whatever works....

I wouldnt exercise her yet, sometimes what happens is because they are feeling a little better, have a little more energy they can too easily overdo it in just a few minutes and it kind of knocks them back down again. I would still stimulate her very mildly but not try and encourage her to be too active.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How's this for weird? If I take her outside, she will eat bark and sticks and grass, but she won't eat her food.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

She wants Mary Kate's kibble. I tried feeding them on opposite sides of a gate and even giving Ashley a few kibbles in her food, but Ashley won't touch it. If I let her out when Mary Kate eats, she will go try to gobble some. I really shouldn't let her eat kibble yet, should I?

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

If thats what she wants to eat, let her eat it! I wouldn't let her too much near the other, she can still pass on the Parvo

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Mary Kate has already had it and recovered.

9. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I agree with sams, let her eat what she wants right now as long as she isnt bringing it back up. (I dont mean the bark, grass and twigs though).

With the dry food, as you know it absorbs fluid so just make sure the pup is getting enough water or Pedialyte.

I dont know if this has already come up but have you also tried a good weaning formula. Its palatable and full of nutrition.

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Aha! I put the kibble in water so she had to drink at least a little in order to eat it. She hasn't been drinking, but then again I was cramming 1-2 tsp of Rebound in her every hour yesterday so she probably wasn't thirsty!

11. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

:eek: :cool_dance: Go Jamiya!! WhoooHoooo! Go Ashley!! :eek: