1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

GETTING REALLY TICKED

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Unseen, Mar 30, 2004.

?

In this situation how would you scold?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2004.
  1. Saying "No" in a firm voice?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spanking?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Putting them in there kennel or personal space?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buying a training book?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Unseen

Unseen New Member

OK. First off Hello all!!

Second Devo and I've a real issue that seriously starting to tick me off. I posted before when he was starting to use the bathroom on the bedding and pillows and beds themselves, well in a week he has stopped doing that and his bathroom habits have improved, but alas I find him doing other things to defy me. Yesterday my Hubby came back from outta town and brought home two of the worlds most awsome pastries from The Little Chex bakery. OMG!!!! There like 100 times better than Krispy Kreams, and you can only get them from the one lil place like 150 miles away. I heated it till it was extreamly hot put a lil butter on it.(This is a big deal for me because I do not eat sugar.) Anyway he was staring with the saddest eyes, like I aint feed him in weeks so. I go to the kitchen real quick to get him a marrow bone come back and hes got the entire thing in his mouth and the cream cheese and strawberry filling has it stuck to the roof of his mouth. I know it had to burn like hell but he wouldnt spit it out. I usually do not "spank" my dog, and he knows the phrase "No Begging" so I smacked his bottom like twice and he spit it out and I yelled.

This was the third time I know of he did something like this.

Well today of all things I made 2 boiled eggs for a salad, again with the begging eyes, "No Begging" and he goes n gets his kong and puts it in my lap, I set my bowl on top of the entertainment center and got his kong, went to the fridge and was going to put in some p.butter. I noticed he didnt folow, so I go back around the corner and he's on his back legs one paw extended to the top of the ent. center and before I can say NO! he knocks it off and is eating the eggs and lettuce? With Itialin dressin? I mean what the hell? Its not like it was a steak or like it smelled great, it was vinigar and oil for god sakes.( Great for the Carpets btw!) I thought after he burned his mouth yesterday he'd learn. Why is he doing this? I feed him right, and every once in awhile I catch gerald giving him a few bites of his food, but why is he sneaking and being so mean? Its like he really dosent want it he just wants it because I have it. Also Lemme tell you this is a dog that eats Cucumbers, pickles, and Asparagus. Its like if we eat it he will but if we dont he wont. When we first got him I had to act like I was eating his food to get him intrested, I thought it was because right after he got Parvo, but I dont think it was the illness that made him that way before. I'm lost. Anyone have a clue?

HELP! :x

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Unseen!! LMAO at that one. Harley is pretty sneaky aswell. My moms lab is the best at it though. One day my stepfather was walking to the garage with a sandwich in his hand hanging down, well her dog wlaked silently up behind him and took the sandwich right from his hand and ate it. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen a 70 Lb. dog sneaking up behind dad for a snack.
    I am not sure I am of much use to you, all I can think of if if you have to walk out of the room, take your food, or make sure the dog is with you. Harley has done the same to me before. Now if I have to get up, I just call her and she has to travel around the house behind me. She is not thrilled by this new rule, but geez, I gotta eat too!

I would not spank, dogs have a very short memory span, so when you are correcting behaviour with a "NO" command or something else, it has to be 3-5 seconds RIGHT AFTER the deed, or he won't know what the hell you're talking about, and if he's just sitting there at that point, he may think you're saying no to him sitting. I know some may disagree with me on this, but have you tried feeding him when you eat dinner? Some say to feed dogs after you, but maybe this would help.

Sorry about your situation. He is a very big boy, and growing pretty fast, check the side of the dog food bag, you may be able to increase his portions up to a cup more, that may make him less anxious to get at your food.

3. Angie

Angie New Member

OMG you feed him table food? No wonder he tries to eat yours all the time! lol
    your husband sneaks him food? If you feed them what you eat then they will want it everytime you have it lol
    Shianne NEVER begs me for food bc she knows its not HER FOOD. My brother's gf gives his dogs some of her food sometimes. And everytime you are eating, you have 5 dogs surrounding you waiting for something to fall lol
    its so funny.
    But even though she doesnt beg me, if i put the plate down or whatever, she will sniff at the table so if i have to go out of the room i will put my plate up high anyway.

I would just make sure to correct him everytime he does this or anything else wrong and make sure he knows this he should do this and also you will just have to put your food up high.
    I think that any curious pet that smells food will look for it lol

4. nern

nern New Member

Keep in mind that dogs are opportunists and with your husband ocassionally sharing food with him I'm sure this has only enhanced him to feel the need to help himself to your food. Natalie has helped herself to my food on several ocassions in the past.... I did'nt punish her for it since I allowed her that opportunity but I did learn to not leave food lying around unsupervised so often and if I did I started making her follow me so that I could keep my eye on her. She knows one single sound that makes her stop dead in her tracts...."Oooh!!" If I even see her glancing in the way of my food I just say "Oooh!!" and she quickly backs away and sits. Scolding, spanking, or saying No! may prevent him from helping himself while you are present but as long as your not in veiw he is likely to continue to help himself at every opportunity he gets.
    Just my 2 cents. :)

5. pitzerlover

pitzerlover New Member

Now that I am finished LMAO, I'll have to say that I agree with everyone. Your DH giving him table scraps has taught Devo that he can have it. And that's a really nasty habit. Sounds like your going to have to teach that dog a new trick. We trained Lady that she is not allowed in the kitchen when we are eating, and that she can't get on the couch if we are eating in the living room, we can even leave the room and she won't get it! It takes a while to get there though.