1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

GOING CAMPING

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by oso, Jul 8, 2004.

1. oso

oso New Member

Im going camping this weekend in upper Michigan and it just popped in my head about Oso and mosquitos. has anyone ever used the flea stuff you buy at petamart, he's 14 weeks old now, do you think it safe. The one I'm talking about is the tube of fluid you pour fron neck to tail.

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you're going to use something like that, I would think you're better off using something you would get from your vet, like Frontline or Frontline Plus (if there are ticks as well). I would call your vet and ask.

Jamiya

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I think you're talking about Frontline for fleas and ticks. I don't know if it would do any good for mosquitos. Dosages of Frontline are given according to the weight of your dog so have someone there help you get the right dosage for your pup.

Personally, I use Frontline and my dogs still manage to get a stray tick now and then.

You might ask a Vet if you can use a o.t.c. mosquito repellant that people use such as OFF. I'd ask, though, because there might be some problems if you pup should lick it off and become sick.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't think I'd want my dog licking DEET. It's pretty nasty stuff. I wasn't thinking when I said Frontline - I don't think it does anything for mosquitoes. I guess people just ignore mosquito bites and use heartworm preventive in case a mosquito transmits heartworms. Sort of backwards if you ask me.

There are some natural repellents you can find at health stores and probably other stores as well - a lot are based on citronella which is supposed to repel mosquitoes. There are also some repellents you can make yourself. Let me see if I can find the recipes...

Here's one:

Then Mike (Charmedagain) posted this:

Here is a link to some herbal products: http://www.bullysticks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=DBFT

And I know I saw some natural repellents at Whole Foods.

Jamiya

5. Jody

Jody New Member

Thanks Jamiya, I'm looking for a remedy to get gid of flea's for Jasper.

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard PLUS IR3535® Insect Repellent Spray.
    Each to there own but this is what we use on our guys and have had know problems with them or it.

As to the home made stuff been there and have to say I have never found a working one yet.
    Lemon is very drying to the skin and one should keep in mind dogs do not have the same skin as we do. Most home made stuff can be just as dangerous as the stuff we buy over the counter. I have seen some animals lose there hair to the point that the skin is burnt from over use of home made sprays. Sores,rashes,hair lose, what's the answer there is none. All one can do is try some of the safer products or I should say the products you feel are safe/ do some studying and ask around there is always some idiot out there who has sprayed the dog with something that was bad.
    Deet good points and bad but not on me or my guys, but yet I wonder we take such care in there food and shots given but yet most people well feed poisons and applie it to there skin and by the way if I have to ware gloves and wash my hands after putting it on my guys I would think Deet would be not such a big deal. I have not used flea stuff of any kind on my guys in over 10 years and living by the lake we get sand fleas every year. I have steps I take everyday to keep things clean around my yard and for my guys. It seems kind of dumb to me to worry about them licking stuff off if your welling to give them genetically controlled pills and insecticides all over them.
    Well as I said each to there own.
    2pyrs

7. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Before I am asked here are the things we do here.
    We keep the dog run and yard clean, I make sure to clean up after my guys right away. we spray Ivory dish soap once to twice a day in there area and once to twice a week we us a mix of bleach and water. No it has not killed any of the grass, we don't make it that strong a mix.
    We are avid believers of natural meds for our guys. Black walnut at each meal time - heart worm and fleas,ticks,misquotes seem to leave them alone. Once to twice a year we give them a natural product called Para-Cleans for tape from the flea and other worms. Breeder turned us onto much of this and we found as she told us that Ivory dish soap it not drying to the skin and it dissolves wax cover of the fleas eggs and as we all know fleas can't live in water so a good dip in the pond or even a pool well kill most if not all the fleas, just be sure to check the ears and head and butt afterwards. I feel the problem is that stray dogs and cats are the big thing to contend with. I always love it when someone comes over that has fleas in there home and I find out a few days later when they have carried them in to my home.
    May I suggest a strip search, no just kidding.
    Even with all this one can still get fleas on there guys. Consider buying one of those rollers with sticky tape on it ,the ones used to clean hair off your cloths works great on short hair guys. Flea combs -are you kidding lets think about this one 165 lb Pyr with more hair the you could begin to imagine and a little three inch comb,sure thing I well sit here for the next month or two.NOT
    Botanical sprays well the fleas probably would think you for making them smell pretty.
    We have used in the past unscented baby powder, cover them from head to toe and every crack between and bath the next day. Just don't pat your guys or you well make them disappear into a cloud but it is fun to see them run outside key word here outside.I have heard of some people using nematodes but I would not recommend this. Even heard of those using Doctor Sholles Foot powder. I don't know if any of those work and I don't recommend them but its your choice. My mom use to make a dough paste like that's used in pies and run it all over the dog and yes it worked, you could see the fleas and eggs stuck in it. My Father would pour cooking oil all over them and leave it for a day, talk about trying to catch a greased pig. Oh lets not forget the pepper trick, red peppers and water mix and spray them down. So what's your old tricks ?

2pyrs

8. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Read this aquestion and answer in the Vet column in today's paper:

Q: My two dogs often get bitten by deer ticks and I am concerned that they will become infected with Lyme disease.

One veterinarian I spoke with recommended the Lyme vaccine LymeVax because she said it provides full protection against Lyme disease and does not have many side effects. However, our regular veterinarian said that LymeVax is not that effective and can cause permanent side effects such as joint aches. What is your opinion about getting dogs tested for and vaccinated against Lyme disease?

-- H.J., Washington, D.C.

A: If my dogs were at risk for Lyme disease, and were to put the people in my house at risk by bringing in disease-transmitting ticks, I would groom and inspect them daily, clear all brush in the yard, and spritz them with an insect-repelling essential oil, which is much safer than harmful pesticide anti-tick dips, drops and pills. Use a mixture of water and a few drops of one or more of the following essential oils or essences: lemon, sandalwood or cedar. (The essential oil of oregano is also a powerful antibiotic, and lavender oil is soothing and -- like chamomile -- calming.) I would be interested in hearing from other veterinarians, animal guardians and caregivers of their experiences with these and other beneficial essential oils.

I would never vaccinate my dogs against Lyme disease, and would always be alert to their developing early signs of infection, which can be quickly wiped out with antibiotic medicine.