1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goldfish at Top of Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by jayslater, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jayslater

jayslater New Member

Can you tell me what it means when a goldfish goes to the top of the water and appears to be "gulping" air. Thanks

Jay

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, i dont know....i have noticed this in ponds before when the fish would go to the top and do that.....maybe it is trying to get some excess food that is floating?

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Could be ammonia or nitrIte poisoning, lack of oxygen (not enough surface aggitation or temp. too high), or just hungry.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte and temperature?

-Chelle

4. betta lover

betta lover New Member

I think it means he doesn't have enough space to swim. I had a goldfish once that did that and the next day he died.

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

That kind of sounds like lack of oxygen or hes hungry

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

sounds like lack of o2 i would put a air stone in there

7. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

My goldfish does that all the time. I think he is just getting air. He has done them ever since I got him.