1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Got bit on the face

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DMikeM, Dec 14, 2006.

1. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

My fault for sure. Went to a friends house last week (co-workers) to set up a wireless router for them. Sean and Suzie are real nice people and have a mix Shepard type dog.
    Well the dog (Macl)came up and was pretty excited about being in the house and company being around I petted his head and gave him a good scratch and he reach up to lick my hand and gave me a grooming nibble, then stretched up towards my face. Well I never had troubles letting my dogs give me a kiss on the cheek so I obliged and sure enough lick and nibble. OOps! :shock:
    He broke the skin and I let Sean know well when I let my hand off the spot it bled pretty fast as he had tore four small holes into my cheek area by the eye socket.
    We got it all cleaned up pretty quick and I removed the tore skin as it was just useless as it was not deep enough to go to the doctors. I asked them not to blame the dog since it was a pure accident. They were so upset but I totally blew it off. I heal real fast so I was not concerned.

Moral of the story wait till strange (any) dogs have settled down before going in for a smooch! The wound is almost healed and I doubt there will even be much of a scar.

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

We all could use that reminder now and then. Glad to hear it was not a serious injury.

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Glad your ok, and it wasnt more serious..
    I think we should have the thoughts of that all animals can be un-predictable.. Even if we think we "KNOW" them very very well..

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I don't allow any dog I don't know or personally handle day inand day out anywhere near my face. For that reason right there.

I've heard alot of stories and such of the same thing going on. Think about it. When you see dogs playing in "packs" or what not, whats the first thing they do? sniff each other out then go to the face and have a "stand off" and each time, you'll see one of them "nip" the other in the muzzle to constitute dominance.

I had this problem with Kabuki when I first got her. She would get sooo excited and every time would jump up and try and nip my face. She was trying to assert her dominance and doing what she knew how to do. This matter was quickly and forcefully handled to keep any future problems at bay.

One thing I can suggest is to defintely let the homeowners know that this behavior is NOT acceptable and they need to warn people that they are not to put their face down in a dogs reach. Also petting on the head is a BIG no no in my household. Scratching behind the ears and under the muzzle is acceptable. Other than that NO. Only bodily contract is allowed.

For one thing. A dog feels threatned by someone reaching out above their heads to give them a pat. Do you like to have your skull tapped on and petted?? Nooooo, well neither does a dog. They do enjoy a nice ear massage or screach, I know I do. But Out of respect for the dog, and for my own safety I never go for the top of the head.

Same goes for just about all animals. I"ve observed and have dealt with my whole life. None of them like face or head rubs. Including my horses, cats, dogs, birds, and other critters. Each and every rescue i've taken in has been the same way. All 6 of my dogs now agree.... None like their heads scratched, And I respect that.

If I wouldn't like it, I know my dogs wouldn't like it either. So keep in mind that we're not that much diffrent from them.

5. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Well actually he put his head under my hand as I was scratching at his ears. And I don't pat them on the head (how annoying). My dogs all love to be scratched hard on the head.
    Macl didn't nip, he was doing that grooming nibble thing dogs do like when they clean there forelegs or groom each other. My face skin is no where as strong as any dog skin so it broke.
    Sean had given me a handful of small treats for Macl but we didn't get that far.
    Still I don't fault either the dog or the owners as I am a dog person and should have been smarter than that in this situation. Had it been an aggressive dog just waiting for a chance I would have had a far more serious injury. I was just flat out in the wrong and made a mistake.
    If I stuck my finger on a scorpions back and got stung is it the fault of the scorpion? Nope.