1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Gravel Vac

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by JxKIM89, Jul 16, 2004.

1. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

I bought a gravel vac but i cant really understnad the instructions. Do i suck it up through the tube? haha iono please help before i actually do that.

2. Mwm

Mwm New Member

It came with a clear hose im guessin, mine is a self sifion one but it doesnt work lol so i just suck on one end of the hose and get you mouth away before that nasty ass water gets in ur mouth i guess.. then run it along and suck up all the crap off the bottom of the tank

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Mwm, i love your icon! butters rules, anyway, yeah its really gross, iv been doing it for years now and i have trouble not getting it in my mouth. (makes me gag.) yeah its an annoying thing to do, but it does a nice cleaning.

4. Mwm

Mwm New Member

ya the self siphons pretty helpful cuz i dont like to drink fish tank water, "Its Butters, Thats Me"! heh

5. OneWolvesDream

did you see the one when butters is dancing? LMAO luv it. i hate the tast eww

6. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

well, when mine doesnt work its my boyfriend who sucks up the fish poo water, not me. lol.

mine works by sticking the vac in the water and the tube in a bucket or something and make an up and down movement untill the water goes up the vac and down the tube, you may have to be quite visious with the pumping action, and then when its syphomning fully, stop moving it and it syphons its self.

amy. x

7. OneWolvesDream

i once thought of taking a bottle and making a suction with that. anything is better then sucking the tube ugh i hate that. amy can u be a bit more discriptive on how to do your method?

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

ehem, well i dont quite know how to with out being rude1 and i think you know that. if its the same vac as i think your on about its just an up and down movement untill the water goes up the suction and free flows down the tube.

9. OneWolvesDream

nooo, its because i have my tank kinda up high so im on a chair when doing the gravel cleaning and the bucket is aswell, i have tried something like that but it never worked thats y i asked.

10. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

Mwm ur avatar is cartman isnt it? Cuz butters has the lil patch of yellow hair and butters aint fat. Thanks for the gravel vac help

11. OneWolvesDream

well done! lol. jk, yeah have you seen kenny without his jacket hat on. thats cute.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't know if I can explain this so it makes much sense, but this is how I get my siphons going (standard tank siphons, not pythons).

I submerge the whole larger section of the siphon in the water. I then lift it out with the open end pointed up. The water will start to drain out of it (through the smaller tube & out a window/door or into a bucket). When the water gets halfway down the larger tube, I submerge it again with the open end still pointing upwards (not necessarily vertical, but higher than the end with the small tube) and let it fill up with water again. Keeping the open submerged, I turn it so the open end is pointing down and start vacuuming the substrate.

-Chelle

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

very smart tchelle

14. OneWolvesDream

wow! thanks that helps!

15. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ok, here's how I do it. Place the entire vacuum in the tank. Wait until all the airbubbles get out of it. Then take your finger and place it over the small end of the hose and take that end out of the tank and put it in your bucket. This will start your syphon. I've never tasted fish water :D

16. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

lol i do it the same way tina

17. OneWolvesDream

I wish i knew that awhile ago! lol.

18. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

Thanks everyone for helping me! :eek:

19. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

no problem allway here to help