1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Great Article Please Cross Post Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Walt, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Walt

Walt New Member

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Walt: Loved your link! This is what I loved the most. "By the AKC's own estimates, a majority of newcomers to the sport, stick with it an average five years, when they give up or move on to a new HOBBY, they leave behind a trail of dogs that were not systematically bred to do a job, they were bred to produce ribbons and often by people who never completely finished reading a book on their own breed." I love it when I think something and someone comes along and says it so well.

3. Jas

Jas New Member

Oh please! I won't be cross posting this anywhere. As a breeder who works hard ensuring that my dogs are still to standard and quite capable of doing their job, I hate to see such blanket statements, when clearly this is not always the case. I show my dogs and they can still do their job.

Not denying this happens, but it does not happen with every breed. I've also seen many working dogs look NOTHING like the breed they are supposed to be. Guess it works both ways.

Breeders should strive for it ALL.

4. Walt

Walt New Member

Jas,

The post is talking about the rule not the exception.

5. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

My dogs van still do their job, performance dogs are the true dogs, but I still like my dogs in the standard with everything at its best. But I agree many breeds have been ruined as a whole by the Akc/Ukc. Look at their version of the APBT or GSD.

6. Jas

Jas New Member

Hardly an exception.

Really it isn't difficult for a breeder to strive for the complete dog.

As much as everyone wants to blame the AKC, judges or registries are NOT the keepers of our breeds - breeders are. A judge can only judge what is presented to them. The first step is to educate breeders, join your breed club, be the voice. With the breeds that are losing working ability people should step in and be the reminder that dogs should be the complete package.

7. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Aimimg for the total package - gameness and conformation

Well, personally, I agree with both points of view. But as far as just the APBT goes, I have to agree with the article. Look at the AKC and the UKC version of the APBT. Do you think those oversized, 'pretty' dogs could do their job of bringing down big game as well as a truely game bred APBT? However, we do need to stick to the standard for certain reasons. A well bred, conformationally correct APBT that is a cur is capable of outlasting a poorly bred, exceptionally game APBT. Here is an article that explains the importance of the entire package. It asks the question: What if this incredibly game APBT had been bred closer to it's conformation standards? How much better could it have been? http://www.workingpitbull.com/soundness.htm

8. Walt

Walt New Member

Dam good articale spencerpits

Thanks.