1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Green Specs On My Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by pauldredge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ive got some lil green specs on part of my glass on my tank, i looks like alge i think, how can i get rid of this, i have got a plec and cat fish but its still there. ive also got some green on my stones that has appeared in the past few days, i would of thought that the cat fish would of got rid of this? is it because im feeding them to much do u think so they wont eat the alge?

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I have this algae to. Its from to much light. Plecos wont eat it you need to scrap it off with a razor blade, algae scrapper or like me a magnetic algae scrapper

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

its from a mixture of too much light and too much excess food/nutrients......do you have an algae scraper or and algae pad? if so, all u have to do is rub it on the alage and it will come off easily.

4. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

no i dont have it, cud i use an old tooth brush do you think or my hand?

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

toothbrush sounds like it could.....even your hand could, but when u start getting more algae dont use your hand....it makes your hand all gooey and just smears the algae.

6. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ok then cheers. is there any way i can stop this from happening?

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

besides buying chemicals from the LFS you can keep the tnaklights on for between 8-10 hours a day, and make sure you dont overfeed the fish....also, regualr water changes work.

8. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ok cheers for the help people.

9. tski22

tski22 New Member

you can buy a small magnetic one for only a few dollars and i think IMO that they really work well. also the water changes/less frequent feeding will help. -tl

10. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I get the alge off my scrubbing with an old tooth brush or cloth with warm water!

Good Luck! :)

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you can use a razor to just make sure you don't cut your self