1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

green winged macaw training

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by pixiegirlsse, Jun 5, 2006.

1. pixiegirlsse

pixiegirlsse New Member

hi i have got a green winged macaw he is about 17 mths old we named him storm .
    how do i train him so he becomes friendler and will let u play with him ?
    he will take food from u. even my 2 year old can give him food . it's just getting him to like u so that u can pick him up and do things with him
    he has started talking in the lest 2 weeks he says "good boy" "storm" "hello" and "hello storm" . it's not clear as day but u no wot he's saying .
    he can be very playful in he's cage but not with people
    he doesn't like anyone new that comes in the house .
    and when he comes out he likes to try and eat my wall how do i get him to stop ? i also have 4 greys which like to take the paint off my walls . is there anything i can get to stop them from doing this ?
    heres a pic of storm .
    [​IMG]

2. xgacktx

xgacktx New Member

hi i have know idea about macaws but i just wanted to say you have a beautiful bird! ^_^

~kyla

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, He is a beautiful bird.
    Macaws are destructive birds when they want to be, Its a case of keeping them occupied with different toys and food, My stepdads has 2 african greys aswell as an amazon and they did the same when he first got them, He went out and bought them a play gym with toys, bells and rings on and he attached fruit and veg to it and they stopped chewing things...

As for the biting the more you have him out of the cage offering him food the better he will become and friendlier, If he bites when you try to handle him you can try wear a pair of very thick cloves that he would not be able to penatrate with his beak and hold him with those, the more you handle him the friendlier he will become...

The more you talk to him the better he will become with words he is at that age where he wants to learn so every chance you get hold him, Speak to him and try and build his trust with you..

There is trust there since he will take food from your hand so its just a case of taking your time and being patient and you will find before long you have a very friendly bird that loves to be sat with you..

Mike

4. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I totally agree with xgacktx! :)