1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Grill or not 4 new Budgie?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by lilest Budgie, Mar 28, 2004.

1. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

Im getting my Budgie today and on the bottom of my cage is a grill. Should I remove it for the newcomer so I can scatter seed there? My cage is a Vision cage that is plastic and metal bars, and the food cup in lime green so wouldn't she see it? Im not sure.. please reply soon!

Also this is a picture of my cage.
    HERE

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

There is no need to remove the grill as having a grill on the bottom of the cage is more hygenic.
    Even though the food dish is lime green she will know that there is food there so you do not have to worry about that.

Also you could hang millet spray from the top if the cage as she will also get seed that way.

Its upto you if you wish to remove the grill but i would leave it but thats my choice.

mike

3. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

I would leave it as well this way it is not eating & steping in it's poop

4. scootergirl

scootergirl New Member

See, I ALWAYS take the bottom grate out of my cages. Of course, I have to do a cleaning everyday (BIG cleaning once a week) but my birds LOVE walking on the bottom. I hang parsley or cilantro every morning from the top and many pieces fall to the cage floor where they will go down and eat it later on. And when it is time to put new seed in their dishes, I spread the small amount of what was left on the floor and they peck at it. I also have a ball w/a bell in it (kind that cats like to bat around) and two of my budgies try to balance on it or try to get that bell out.

I dunno, my experience is that I prefer to take the bottom grate out. The pull out tray is lined w/corn cob litter that gets cleaned frequently.

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

The problem with taking the grate out is the birds will eat the seeds that have fallen into there poop which is not really very hygenic.

Avian vets and breeders will tell you its best and safest to leave the grate in the cage but eachowner has there own opinion on the matter.

Me personally leave the grate in on my breeder cages and remove them before the chicks leave the nest and go into the aviary.

Mike

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Leave the grill! Lol! :eek: