1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Grooming a Shih-Tzu

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MyDogsMom, Jul 11, 2004.

1. MyDogsMom

MyDogsMom New Member

I have a 3 yr old female Shih-tzu that found my hubby while he was at work. She was in gwad awufull conidition, matted hair so bad that she was almost naked when we got them all off of her. Also was heartworm positive and hernia :( That was almost a year ago now she's doing great. I tried to grow her coat out for 6 months but she is such a "Tomboy" I would have to brush her 2-3 times a day. She likes to go out and run with our 2 sheperds in the backyard :lol: She I have been taking her to get groomed every 4-6 weeks, but I would like to try clipping her hair myself. Anyone with ideas on a clipper set? (blades and guards) I would like to have her coat 1-2 inches long

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

This is the one I use on my poodle. I believe the longest comb attachment is about 1 1/2 inches. I usually trim her anywhere between 1/2 to one inch on the body. They have alot of clipper sets on petedege and decent prices. Don't buy the cheapest one either. You get what you pay for. I bought a spare blade for mine too.
    http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product ... =2776&AS=1

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: I can't really help you with your question, but I just wanted to reply to your post so I could WELCOME you to the board...glad you're here!!! :eek:

Best of luck with the grooming!!! :D

4. karma

karma New Member

Yes, Wahl's are good.... so are Andis and Oster clippers. I use Andis myself (I'm a groomer.) Go with the professional ones that are about $120- don't get anything called a 'trimmer' as you might not have the power you want.

Just about any set of snap on combs (guards) should be fine- yes, the longest guards will leave 1.5 to 2 inches of hair usually, depending upon technique.

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

once you get going, you should post before and after pics for us! :) :eek: