1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ground Squirrels?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by LuvMyPets, Sep 14, 2004.

1. LuvMyPets

LuvMyPets New Member

Does anyone have any ground squirrels? I might be getting one in a few weeks, and I'd like to have some general tips on bonding mostly, because he hasn't been handled much, and isn't very tame, but he should be able to become more friendly in time, according to the current owner. I'll post more info tomorrow, I have to sign off now

2. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

ive never heard of keeping squrrles

3. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Are you talking about a chilean land squirrel, also know properly as a Degue? If so they must be kept in pairsunless you plan to be with them all the time , they are very social and will become very deppressed if left solitary. They are very affectionate, and very smart also do not use red cedar bedding like rats they usually cannot tolerate it hope that helps! :D

4. LuvMyPets

LuvMyPets New Member

Nope, not what I meant, in fact I'm getting a pair of female degus this November. I'm talking about Richardson Ground Squirrels, but I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm not getting one.

5. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

ya i did some research on the squirrels and it's a good thing you didn't get one they are actually not domesticated They capyure pregnant females in the wild and raise the babies in captivity but they won't breed in captivity. So they do not make good pets they say if you handle them often from the time they are weaned 3 wks., they may become friendly but usually they still bite and scratch because they are still wild animals. I'm glad you are getting the degues they atleast have been domesticated good Luck with them!