1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guinea Pig Questions Compatability?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Fishfirst, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

I currently have an Abby Guinea and one of my friends just got a short hair... could they live together at all? or even interact without fighting?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Unlike hamsters, Guinea Pigs are quite social and enjoy the company of other Guinea Pigs.

As long as they have enough room they should be fine. Do you know what sex they are? If they're different sexes then you should think about having one neutered unless you're planning on breeding them.

3. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

I was more worried about them fighting than breeding... they will only be hanging out together when they are outside of their cages :)

4. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

Well when I let them interact, mine took a nip at one of the nails of the other... lol she tends to be very curious anyway (she often nibbles on clothing, fingers, paper bags when she can cuz I often take them away from her at once, and the nip didn't hurt the other one but it did scare her... I wanted to be sure before I let them play together...

5. seaecho

seaecho New Member

It depends on many factors. Two males can often get along, contrary to what you would think. but not if they are both mature when introduced. I had a 4 month old male (they are considered mature at that age) and I brought home a 6 week old baby. I couldn't get a female because I'd have instant babies. So I brought home another male. They were introduced on neutral territory before I put them in the cage together. They are the best of buddies. I hope this continues when the baby matures. It depends so much on the individual pig's natures. Some are dominant, and others are submissive. The more easy going, submissive ones are more likely to get along. Two females will very often get along. Remember, an adult will almost never attack a baby. But never, ever put a male and female together - even when they have out of cage play time. It only takes a few moments for them to mate, and they can get pregnant sometimes when only 4 weeks old! Guinea pigs are notorious for having problems when having babies, and the mother can easily be lost as well as the babies. So its not a good idea to breed unless you are looking to seriously show, and improve the breed. Many people don't know that. It sounds like the two you want to be friends are females. You referred to them as "she." Chances are they will get along great. At first there may be a squabble or two, but they usually work it out by themselves without intervention from you. If the fight gets serious you should break it up, but I doubt this will happen. They will test each other to see who will be dominant, and that should be that.

Randi

6. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

That is more than enough opportunity for them to breed. And it does depend on each pig's personality, some get along, some will fight and they can really hurt each other.