1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guinea Pigs - Fruits & veggies?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by nern, Apr 25, 2004.

1. nern

nern New Member

Does anyone know of a reliable site that lists fruits and vegetables that are safe or unsafe for guinea pigs? I give Steven oranges, carrots, cucumber and the other day I gave him a peice of brocolli. I would like to give him more variety. What kinds of fruits and vegetables do your pigs like?

2. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

my pumba gets peices of apples, pears, grapes, kiwi, cantolope, brocolli, carrots, cucumber, eggplant, mustard greens, squash, zuchinnie, and he LOVES watermelon.... and every once in a while ill let him have some lettuce even though i know its not good to feed them on a regular basies ill give it to him 4 a treat if i cant find anything else....ohhh and he loves bolied egg the white part... i feed boiled eggs to my birds alot sooo i tried giving him some and he loved it....aloso ill let him munch on some grass as long as i know it has no pestiscides on it etc... and i put alfalfa hay in his cage and he chows down on that...

3. nern

nern New Member

How much do you give him in one day? I'm so paranoid that I will give too much and cause digestive upsets so I've been only giving him 1 or 2 baby carrots or 1 orange slice or 1 cucumber slice, ect. daily....no digestive upsets so far but I wonder if I could give him a bit more? He also gets pellets and usually 1 Yogie treat and is free fed Timothy hay and/or Orchard grass (which is loves).

4. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i free feed pumba the pellets and he has hay in his lil house.... i usually give him 3 vegies and 2 peices of fruit a day like today he had 2 carrots a peice of broccoli and a slice of cucumber then he had a slice of apple and a small peice of watermelon.... the vet hasnt said anything bout me over feeding him sooo.... but i know what u mean im still worried that i might overfeed him.... but hes pretty good at stoping when hes full and then he likes to go wild and play w/ all his toys then eat a lil more then plays etc....i put a run 4 him outside that is just chicken wire in a circle that i put up on the grass and he runs like crazy in it...hes only maybe a month and a week old so i use the veggies and fruits to get him to come out of his cage since hes still a lil scared....

5. nern

nern New Member

LOL. Your guys sound like a lot of fun. I think I'm going to give mine a little bit more and see how he does....he sure loves his fruits and veggies. :D

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

7. nern

nern New Member

Thanks for the link! :wink:

8. OneWolvesDream

no prob, any time

9. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

nern: yes pumba has alot of fun and is very very spoiled...lol he hears my voice and starts screaming and standing at the cage door he knows its time to come out but sometimes when i want him to come out he wont so i have to bribe him w/ some food...lol he comes when he wants when i want him to h wont...lol

thanks 4 the link im gonna look at it to....

10. OneWolvesDream

kk any time!

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I heard that you should avoid stuff like celery and lettuce because they have too much water but I don't see the harm in that! However, don't quote me!

12. nern

nern New Member

So far his favorite seems to be carrots...no matter what I put in his bowl he takes a carrot first if there is one in there. :mrgreen:
    He also likes peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, strawberries, necterines and pears. The only thing he does'nt seem to care for is zucchini so far.