1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guppie and Goldfish compatability

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by faithful2205, Mar 19, 2006.

1. faithful2205

faithful2205 New Member

I have a 20 gallon tank that currently has a sucker fish (dont kow the technical name lol) and a goldfish. I have a friend that is wanting to give me some of her guppies, but before I tell her yes or no, I'm curious as to if goldfish and guppies are compatible with one another. The goldfish is very docile and kind of does its own thing. But I want to make sure as I don't want to cause harm or stress to either the goldfish or guppies. Thanks in advance!

2. faithful2205

faithful2205 New Member

hmm lol sorry about the censorship. I hope you all know what I was saying there. Just a fish to help clean the tank.

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi faithful2205, The 20 gallon tank is much better suited to the Guppies. It is too small for Goldfish or a Plecostamus. Goldfish and Guppies are not compatible. Goldfish are a cold water fish requiring lower water temperatures then Guppies (tropicals). Also, when the Goldfish get larger the Guppies will look more like a meal to them. Unless you are going to get a larger tank soon your best solution would be to get rid of the Goldfish and Plecostamus and go with the Guppies and maybe some small Cories and Ottocinculus.

4. Hai

Hai New Member

faithful2205, I have seen many times that fantail goldfish is being bullied by the guppies. The guppies will nip nip nip at the flowing fin of the fantail goldfish until it dies. Anyway there will be no problem for single-tail goldfish because single-tail swims faster and when it grows big enough it will eat the guppies instead. Is your goldfish fantail or single-tail?