1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

guppies

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by t_chelle16, Jun 2, 2004.

1. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When I bred guppies in a 10 gallon, I remember them taking forever (or at least 2 months) to reach the size of an adult male.

When I first set up my pond, I put in my 3 adult guppies (1 male & 2 females). The next day I had a bunch of fry. Just 3 weeks later, not only do I have a new batch of fry, but the original batch are almost as big as the adult male. It's been a while since I actually bred guppies, so maybe I'm just mistaken about their growth rate.

Not a very good pic, but the 2 at the bottom are the original male and one of the original females. The 3 at the top are the 3 week old fry.
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

the more room they have the fatser they grow

3. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

both times that i have moved my pregnant guppies, they have given borth the next day to a normal healthy bunch of fry. they are dropping every week, a few at a time.

so, you hav your guppies in a cold pond?

i thought u could keep them in with out heater, but i wasnt sure.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Right now the pond isn't that cold. I don't have an exact temperature, but the ambient temp has been in the mid 80's. I have no idea how well they'll survive the winter (the pond is pretty deep though). I mainly wanted to get them out of my 10 gallon and I figured taking their chances in the pond was better than getting eaten by the oscars.

-Chelle

5. 3_second_memory

yes, a pond does sound better.

can you se them uin there if its that deep?

mineswim round my tank saying, you havent fed me, really you havent, give us food!

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The pond has three different levels to it. Around the very edge is a shelf that's about 8" wide and 1' deep with some rocks stacked up to set my plant pots on. The second level is 12" - 18" wide and around 2' - 2 1/2' deep. The center section is about 4' x 2' and is 4' deep. I'm still having problems when it rains with run off making it a bit muddy, but most days I can see the bottom of the 2nd level clearly. And most of the guppies stay near the top anyway. I have a lot of water hyacinth and the feathery roots make good guppy hiding places.

I'm actually surprised that my goldfish aren't eating them.

-Chelle

7. 3_second_memory

yeah, im suprised too. i know my fish would.