1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guppy breeding questions .

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sakura.seppun, Jul 7, 2005.

1. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

I would like to start breeding guppies, for this short time that my local petstore actually has some females.

I would like to know what kind of conditions that they would breed in best. I have an extra 10 gallon tank, with filter.

What kind of decorations would they use the most, how many should I start with, and any other suggestions that you may have.

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

With guppies you'll need a 3:1 ratio of females to males, just to keep the male from harassing a single female all the time.

Guppies aren't really hard to breed and if the females at the store are in tanks with males chances are they're already pregnant. If they're seperated just put them together. I also find a little aquarium salt in the water helps things along.

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmmm....as far as decorations go you would want some thick plants for the guppy fry to hide out in since after they are born the parents will eat them if given the chance. either that or you can use a breeding net.

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

With Guppies basically if you have a male, a female and water you have babies. They aren't finnicky at all. When I was raising Guppies I would float Hornwort on the top 1/4 to 1/3 of a 10 gallon tank. When the fry are born they can hide in the Hornwort and it is also a food source for them. They seem to breed more prolifically at 80F, close to neutral PH and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Good luck.

5. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

So I bought 3 male guppies today, they are living in my 20 gal. I thought that I could have them in my tank, while the females are in the 10 gal. And just introduce one male, then after he breeds, move him back and introduce another male.

Is this acceptable? I chose the 3 different males for their different colors, so I would like to breed all three of them.

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Trying to run 3 different color strains I would suggest getting 3 females for each male and put 1 male and 3 females in a 10 gallon tank. Put the 2nd male and 3 other females into a 2nd 10 gallon tank and then place the 3rd male and 3 other females into a 3rd tank. The way you are planning on breeding them you will have a hard time knowing when to replace the males. Also with all of the fry from each of the color strains in the same tank you will end up with cross-breeding of the fry and lose the pure color strain.