1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

guppy pregnant

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by bloodpain, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

besides spotting the big belly of a pregnant guppy, is there any spots or something which can be seen whether she is pregnant or not?

2. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

when a guppy mum is pregnant she will have a dark spot behind her anal fin called the GRAVID SPOT. it is black, and the bigger it is the more babies she is holding and the further along the line she is.

The gravid spot is actually the fry eyes.

when she is about to drop, the common clues are that she will stop eating, swim differently, slowly or the opposite by benig erratic.

She will have a point at the base of her at the back which is where the babies come out. Like a point but can be seen when you stand behind her.

The younger the Guppy, the less fry you get.

Some gupies dont display any of the symptoms.

Iv wathced my mum guppy, give birth and it was amazing, but she only displayed fattness, no other signs.

my other guppy mums dont really display any signs

Amy. x

3. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

cool! i just found a gravid spot there on my female.. shes about 1 inch.. but its belly isn't that big yet.. hmm around how long do i expect frys and can i feed it with powder food? Any tips on what should i do after the fry comes out?

4. 3_second_memory

guppies can hold 5 lots of sperm in one go. and if you have asmale the number wil stay like this.

you can expect fry every few weeks.

you can buy a breeder to put the mum in before she drops, or, if you miss the brth net the fry into the breeder and feed the powder or crushed flake. im just gonna go check my mum......................................I HAVE FRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5 SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE SO PLUMP AND JUICY!!!!!!!

5. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

ahh thats cool.. can i use a fish net instead of a breeder net?

6. 3_second_memory

i spose you could but it would have to be big enough to allow her wo swim freely you can get breeders for as cheap as £3.
    the hook on the side.

dont ever leave the mum in too long as she will get stressed no more than a day .

my mums just giving me a good 5 more fry and i watched 2 of them pop out.

7. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

well i had 2 guppys in a 3g tank.. so i dun think i need a net.. hmm once they are born.. will the parents eat the fry? and should both of the parents be removed immediately?

8. tina1

tina1 New Member

That really depends. I'd say to definitely remove the male but only remove the female if she starts to bother the fry or tries to turn them into lunch. I've kept two of my females in with their fry before for a few days to give them some rest because they never showed any interest in the fry. But you should remove the male IMO.

9. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

Ok thanks.. I take note of that..