1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guppy Survival

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Would a 1 guppy survive in an 10 gallon tank with black tetras and assorted mollies?

2. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

That got to depends whether your 10 gallon tank is overstocked or not.. Anyway, guppies are one of the most hardy fishes and I believe that they can survive easily. But I think you should get the guppy his/her fishmate :p Best of luck.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It should be okay assuming the the tank isn't already overstocked (very easy to do with such a small tank). Other than water quality problems, I'd be a little concerned with the tetras nipping it's fins.

-Chelle

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Thanks for the advice, this is really just furture planning. Im thinking about 4 or 5 mollies, 2 or 3 cories, and maby a few black tetras (I did the same layout for my brothers tank, right now I have a 5 gallon, a cycling 10 gallon, and im getting a 20 on monday)

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Mollies can get around 4" so that makes them a bit on the big side for a 10 gallon. You could probably get 2 and either a few black neons or a few small (pygmies perferrably) cories.

Or, you could put 3 or 4 mollies & 3 cories in the 20. And put the neons & something else (few guppies maybe) in the 10.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Thanks for the advice, I had " heard " that "assorted" mollies dont get as big as standard mollies but Im proby wrong becuase the only differnce ive seen between assorted mollies and regular mollies are the coloration. Also Im not as sure about the black tetras as I was before becuase the black tetras that are in my brothers tank are becoming heavy fin nippers as they get older and though mollies dont have the longest tails they have enough to be nipped.

EDIT: On a side note, has anyone ever had other people just walking into your house tell you it smelled a bit musty or like a rainforest but you couldnt tell? The second floor of our house is getting quite the "aquarium" smell.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've heard of other people having that problem, but no one's ever said anything to me. Of course my tanks are spread out throughout the house. I do know a guy that had to get rid of all his tanks (about 5 or 6 of them) because they where creating a lot of humidity and his son developed a severe allergy to mold.

-Chelle

8. needlefish

needlefish New Member

congrats on gettin a 20g. my parents think that my tank is a good size.