1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hairballs

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cosmicpixie, Jun 14, 2004.

1. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

Help! Maya keeps getting hairballs. We keep her well groomed and brush her every other day if we can. We got some spray on conditioner to help with the mats and make her coat soft. But she keeps getting hairballs. We weren't sure we could give her stuff for cats but we don't want to make her sick. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Tracie,Matt,Maya,and the ferrets

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Gosh, Cosmic... I don't have any suggestions for you. I was hoping some one would post something for you. My only "suggestion" is to definitely check with the vet before giving her the stuff you give the cats. Also, what about those gloves you can buy that you can run across her coat and it catches the loose fur? it's similar to those lint rollers. Also, you might want to check out the Dr. Foster and Smith site.... THEY HAVE EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ They have a section on "shed control".... check it out. You might find something handy!

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I'm right along with you Monster, I didn't reply either only b/c I wasn't quite sure what to say...never heard of a hairball problem in dogs. You gave some good pointers though Monster, they make all sorts of shed control products (i.e. gloves, rollers, rake type brushes, etc.) which should help to reduce the amount of loose hair. Other than that, I am not quite sure what else would help...I'm sure your vet might have some ideas!

Good luck! :D

4. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

We use a grooming rake on her. And it has made a difference. Its not a constant problem, but it does happen. We were hoping to be proactive about it and find some way to keep it fom happening. I know its weird because dogs don't groom themselves the way that cats do, but what can I say Maya is a true princess. The only dog I've ever seen that cares about her looks. Trust me I've caught her just staring at herself in mirrors. She also chews the tips off her claws so they don't get too long. I've asked the vet about that and she took a good look at her and said there was no proof of allergies and she wasn't doing it until she hurt herself. She just likes to be well manicured. I still don't know how I ended up with such a princess for a dog, but thanks for your help.

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Wow she clips her own nails. I need a dog like that. It takes TONS of treats and lot of running to get one nail on my dogs. It takes like a week to get them all. (I can usually only get one or two at a time before the take off and refuse to coorperate anymore!) By the time I have done this with all three dogs its time to start again.

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

hehe... but just think, 3dogs... you get TRIPLE THE LOVE!! :)

and I'm still a little amazed over the whole "self manicurist" trick! LOL

7. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

She such a princess! I swear. I get out her spray on conditioner or her grooming rake and she sits right where she's at. She loves to wear clothes. We just got her a new Angel t-shirt. Unfortunately all the princess ones were too big. I was considering getting some Disney princess fabric to make her some new bandanas. Luckily the doctor said it was okay that she chewed her own nails that we just had to make sure she wasn't chewing down to the quick or hurting herself. She just chews the tips off and leaves it at that. Our old groomer would just file them down a little to make them smoother. She's a princess tried and true.