1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

hammy bath?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by OneWolvesDream, Jun 18, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

hey i was wondering. there is a debate over giving a hamster a bath. what is bad about it and if so is it a good idea?

2. nern

nern New Member

I'd say giving hamsters baths is probably not a good idea. One reason not to is because if the hamster were to get a chill afterwards it could get very sick. I also imagine a bath could be quite stressful for a little hamster.

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I've never bathed my hamster, usaly I use a wet cloth and if you do descide to give him a little hamster bath :D then I dont think it would cause to much troble if you thuroughly dry him/her and dont put him/her in a paticullar cold room.

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

oo ok. because my hammy smells and i change the bedding and all but the stench dosnt go away. i cant eather afford a vet bill for my mistake. so ill just have to think of somthing else

5. Abz

Abz New Member

Bathing removes natural and essential oils from the hamster’s coat, which can cause the hamster to catch a chill and die.

Bathing should only be done in exceptional circumstances, like if your hamster has paint, varnish or anything toxic on its coat that may harm it if it licks itself or ingests it.
    The hamster will clean itself if it is dirty and the substance is not toxic.
    Chinchilla sand will keep the coat clean and grease free.
    if your hamster is female, the smell is probably her going into heat.