1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hand taming a parakeet

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Trel023, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Trel023

Trel023 New Member

If i try to hand tame a parakeet and put my hand in the cage,wont it try to bite me.when parakeets bite does it hurt bad.And what does it mean when a parakeet stands on one leg and balances itself with the other leg.Thanks alot

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi when first starting to hand tame any bird you will find they will bite.
    I dont think it hurts but not everyone would agree.

It takes some birds awhile to get used to being handled other birds will come straight to the hand without any problems.

All birds rest on one leg when they are sleepy mine used to do it all the time.

mike

3. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

Hand taming

Yes, balencing on one leg means its relaxed and sleepy. My budgie trys to bite me sometimes, it doesn't hurt at all, It may look scary but it isn't. Of course mine is young so if yours is an adult it many be stronger. Don't be afraid just let them get used to your hand on their own time, soon they will come t enjoy your company.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I agree. When you first start to train any bird they will bite.

About the biting itself, I guess it depends on the budgie. Chick doesn't bite at all (she just squaks like a chicken), Buster has a little peck and Kiwi has this amazingly strong bite that can draw blood if he's ticked off enough ( I learned this when I first got him and tried to clip his wings. Not a good experience!) but he hardly ever uses it now unless you grab him and restrict his movement.

Kiwi balances on one leg just before it's time to go to bed or when he's just relaxing but Buster and Chick don't. Since they sleep on the swing I guess they need more balance.

5. Patrick'sKeets

Patrick'sKeets New Member

It may be helpful if you try not to give the bird small enough an area to bite. I have been working with mine (just got) for about 5 weeks now. I usually curl my finger so not to expose the cutical (area around the fingernail). when my female does bite, the area is so thick that she cannot get a good grip. Like a five year old trying to palm a basketball w/ one hand.
    Also, if the bird is injured, it will also favor a leg, but more likely, it is resting.

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

When I first started handling my parrot he had a sizeable bite, after it got bad enough that their was blood most pet stores will have heavy leather gloves, alot of bird of all types just take a while to warm up to ya. Dont take it personally :lol: