1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Handeling Question

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by 4Dogsihave, Apr 24, 2004.

1. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hi there, we have a cockatiel, we think he is around 2. We got him about 6 months ago from a friend. My question is, he has never been handled and when we go near his cage he goes nuts. I have read other posters with advice on younger bird. Does anyone thing this will work with him? I dont want to scare him to death but would like to be able to take him out. Is he too old and set in his ways? I have tried just setting my hand in there but he goes crazy the whole time. He seems to like to "talk" to us and almost lets us get near the cage when we are talking. He has bit me one too many times, if he can change cool, but if not oh well.

Oh he was raised with his sister but we only took him. I know we cant put another bird in there but just wanted to add that in. That is the only contact he has ever had with anything. And he hates toys! Well I dont know if he hates them but he is a master of breaking them! Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh one more thing, do cockatiels talk? Someone told me they could and he is really good at imitating the dogs noises. One day I could have sworn one of my dogs was hurt cause he was whinning. Freaked me out big time. But he sounds exactly like them!

2. Jadzia

Jadzia New Member

I am not so sure about the handling part but they can definatly imitate and talk - ours too imitated the dog wimpering and had us fooled.

I have a bird who was difficult to handle like yours, have you tried using leather gardening gloves to handle him? Since you have tried the softly softly approach and it hasn't worked maybe it is worth donning a pair of gloves and just holding him for a couple of minutes while talking and singing to him. I also found clipping my birds wing effective in bringing about a personality change. One thing is tho when they bite it is important NOT to show a reaction. Pain, fear etc only give them the msg that biting is good - it means they have control over you. I also found a small spray bottle of water effective in teaching not to bite. With Rosie I would spray in his face ONLY when he bit hard enough to hurt and say "don't bite". He now entertains visitors by going to chew on something important like a keyboard cable and when I say don't bite he stops and looks for something else to torment for a few minutes. Of course he goes back to the cable only to get told again :eek:)

Good luck.

3. ilovebirds

ilovebirds New Member

I posted this under" more pics".I'll post it here as well... :D :D

Hi 3dogs,I'm not close to really knowing much about birds yet,but did you buy one of those things,I call a jungle gym,that I have on top of the cage.My birds love it.

I had Jake,the grey cockatiel for a month before I started to get the others.He always seemed "sad" and lonley.So I went out and bought Meiko.He seemed to livin up.

How long have you had your bird?

I also,wrapped mine in a blanket,after around 2 weeks I had them.I would pet their heads and give them a nice rub.I would do this about 2 times a day and hold them around 5 mins.I would also put my hand in the cage while I sang to them. They are like babies to me...lol

Jake responded well to me,and he now perches and started to eat from my hand.Meiko,the lutino,is still nervous and hisses,but he will perch on my finger for a few seconds.He is slowly comming around.

I'm hoping Meiko is a female,I want to hand raise some babies!

4. ilovebirds

ilovebirds New Member

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi at 2years old he has just really become mature.
    It takes time for a none hand tame bird to trust human hands so the best thing to do is talk to him while placing your hand inside the cage hold it there for a couple of minutes slowly moving it till you evntually get to touch his chest with your finger touching his chest this can take a few days but patience is the key.

Dont rush it but most of all talk to him in a calm voice also offering him fresh fruit or veg usually helps them learn that the hand is nice and you dont want to hurt him.

Mike

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I blame myself alot for this. We have had him around 6months or so. When we got him I spent alot of time trying to hold him. When he freaked out so bad I just stopped and havent dont much since. I didnt want to upset him too much. We have tried the towel thing but he bit the crap out of me. I think I just need to be a little more persistant and give it more time. I was afraid of giving him a heart attack or something. At this point even opening the cage door and he is freaking out. I guess I am just a little overwhelmed/unprepared. I have only had one other bird and he was very nice. When we got Ozzy it was a spur of the moment thing I havent really done my research like I normally do before getting an animal. We were at a friends house and she had too many birds and just gave him to us. Anyway thanks for the adivce and I will let you guys know how it is going!

Also Mike, what kind of fruit and veggies should I give him? And how to I prepare it for him? At the time he just has his seed and I havent tried any fresh fruit.