1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever grown

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by rcrgal31, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

Cat grass or catnip for their kitties...i want to start my container garden for my patio and i thought this was a nice addition...

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I tried it once when Copper was younger. He pulled it out of the pot and dirt went everywhere. :|

3. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

ive tried catnip b4 and just as i transfered it out of the pot to the ground Garfield was rolling in it like a mad man.. i couldnt keep him out of it, so needless to say he killed it and i havent tried it again, but meanwhile the dried catnip he refuses to even touch..lol

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I have catnip growing wild in my back yard. In fact, some of it is starting to come up again so I gave a little to the cats a couple days ago. They're so funny when they're drunk. :mrgreen:

-Chelle

5. vene

vene New Member

Cat grass is very easy to start indoors. It takes 3 days for germination. Rene will chew and pluck off the seedlings before they get established. :roll: My kitties have a tendency to overeat the grass which leads to cat scoot or vomit. :shock: I've long since given up on them (the grass). :mrgreen: I might try the catnip though. Sounds like fun!

6. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

lol thats what im afraid the boys will do...

7. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

I make sure that Luna has a fresh source of grass available for her year round. Here's a tip for you. Don't buy those expensive kits in pet stores, buy organic barley and oat groats seeds in bulk (from a natural foods store) and grow them yourself. I get a big bag of organic potting soil and use it to grow my seeds in. Any questions on how to grow them, let me know!

Luna has never had a problem with the grass, and nibbles on it daily. I think it helps her prevent hairballs. I haven't had to give her Petromalt (hairball eliminator) in over a year, and I think it's because of the cat grass.

8. nern

nern New Member

A woman at work bought some cat grass for her cat recently but her cat was'nt interested in it at all. She asked if I wanted it so I brought it home for my crew and they all went nuts over it...except Richie who seemed to be afraid of it. LOL.

9. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Haha! He probably thought it was some sort of green hairy creature! :lol:

10. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I tried the kitty grass and my kitties weren't interested in it.

When my kitties go out on the back patio they head straight for the crab grass. They seem to love that. I guess that is one way to get rid of it. :mrgreen:

11. Michelle & Ruby

Michelle & Ruby New Member

I'm with Lunaguy. I have cat grass for Ruby all year round. She loves it! She picks out the tenderest shoots and blissfully chews away.

Ruby also LOVES to hide behind the container like a fierce panther, ready to strike on the unsuspecting target. It's hilarious! I can totally see her, but I pretend I can't and call her name and look around for her. All the while her pupils are HUGE, it looks like her eyes are pure black, her tail is twitching, and she's doing the back leg polka - ready for the pounce.........what a Huntress!!!

She's goofy!

Peace

12. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I've never given Vianne grass before, but sometimes when I walk her she tries to stop and munch on the neighbors lawn, but i never let her cuz i'm too afraid she's gonna eat something bad on it or get parasites or something. I'm actually growing some oat grass for her right now. It just started to sprout, but when it's grown, i'll just give her cutting from the pot so she doesn't play in the dirt. Up til now i've always given her baby spinach and baby romaine leaves for her green food and she seems to enjoy that well enough. If the oat grass doesn't go over well, i guess i'll just stick to that.

13. luna

luna New Member

my shadow loved her kitty grass then i ran out of seeds and havent been able to find any more :cry: