1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used the cat pine for litter.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by sweething852002, Aug 5, 2005.

1. sweething852002

sweething852002 New Member

I forget what it's called. It's that new and improved stuff that is made of pine. Has anyone here used it? Are you still using it? What do you think is better? The old fashioned cat litter or the new pine?

I was not satisfied with it because my cat was not satisfied with it. I did like how it kept the smell down and how it absorbed all the liquid. It does a very good job and I would recommend using the pine over litter, but I do think it should be used for cats starting at a young age. I tried the produce for about a week. My cat tried it for one day :( Then she tried my bed and the floor. My bed was good at obsorbing her pee and the floor was good at holding cat poop. She's 16 and has been use to the usual litter so I had to change back If I ever wanted to sleep in a bed ever again. Along with have a room that doesn't smell horrifing. If I ever get me another cat I will try starting them out on the pine stuff. It really is awsome with absorbing, deoderizing and great when having to clean it up. It doesn't stick to the pan. It's just like crumbs almost. You wouldn't even know it was wet. When it didn't get wet it looks like pellets.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I used it when I first got Zeus....my problem being when I dumped the litter into the trash, took the trash to the garage....mice loved the stuff and chewed holes in the bags that contained only the pine litter. Stopped using it and no more holes in trash bags. Was strange

3. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I believe you are talking about Feline Pine, right? They use it at the animal shelter i worked at, but i didn't particularly care for the way it all falls apart and gets dusty when they pee on it. Also i know that pine and cedar shavings are toxic to small animals due to the phenols/aromatic oil and causes respiratory problems and kidney failure.....so i tend to wonder if its not safe for a rabbit or a hamster, why is it ok for cats??

For quite some time now i have been mixing litters. I use a layer of either Arm & Hammer clumping litter or Odor Lockers and then a layer of Yesterday's News Original long paper pellets on top of that, then sprinkle with baking soda. This has worked really well for both of us, since she seems to like it, low dust and practically no tracking...plus good odor control. Also i use those drawstring liner bags. Makes changing out the box a cinch.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I liked the way the pine litter smelled, but that's about it. It doesn't really clump to the entire stool (due to shape and size of pellets). So when you are scooping you better hope your kitty has a nice hard stool. If your kitty has diarrhea or soft stools, it's messy to clean up. :shock: Also, the pellets are as big as rabbit food, so the cats have a hard time covering up their stools. You should buy one small bag and just try it out for yourself. You can always add a few cups to your regular litter to add a nice fresh pine scent.

5. nern

nern New Member

Feline Pine actually comes in a "scoopable" form now ( http://www.felinepine.com/felinepinescoop.html ) which I have not tried yet.
    I have used the regular Feline Pine and I loved it. It did'nt clump, the poop just usually sat in the box but was still easy to scoop out and I liked that the pellets turned to dust when urinated on. The dust was always dry and never got stuck to the bottom of the box so the box stayed extra clean for a longer period of time. I scooped out the dust as best as I could daily and did'nt think it was much of a hassle despite the non-clumping form of it. Unfortunately, my cats did'nt seem to like it and thats why I discontinued using it.

I was also concerned about this initially. If I remember correctly, I think I emailed the company regarding this and the way the pellets are processed the phenols are removed or something to that extent? I also asked my vet about it and she said it would only be toxic if the cats were to eat a significant amount of the pellets.

Found some info on their webpage in the FAQ section:
    http://www.felinepine.com/cons_faq.html#18