1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Heater Observation

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey, This isn't really a question just an observation. Anway my 20 gallon tank with guppies and white clouds had gone without a heater for awhile (aka until it shipped) so when I got it I set it at 78 degrees and all of a sudden my fish are alot more active, I assume its becuase before they were too cold.

2. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

good obeservations maybe u should become a scientist one day.........ahahahahahha...lol....j/k

but yeah of course that why ur guppies became more active

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, tropical fish get sluggish when they're cold. And I've noticed that cold water fish (like your cloud minnows) get sluggish when they're too warm.

-Chelle

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i noticed that my heater cant heat proply and instead of 77degrees it was 80+ for a 8.9 guppy tank! with out the heater its 77degrees. my fish i think are more active with the cooler water than boiling water!

5. fishaddict

fishaddict New Member

I have a 10 gallon with guppies and tetras and I did not buy a heater as of yet, and ironically, I just observed them a couple days and found they were very active on their own and have spawned 4 times. The tank equilibriates with room temp (about 74 degrees) but heat and light for that matter can definately drastically increase the activity of these curious, hyperactive, easy breeding, fish!

6. Hooben

Hooben New Member

It's just like when koi are left outside in a pond during the winter. Their metabolism slows down so much that they dont really even eat. Warmer temps serve to speed up fish metabolism and they probably eat more and grow faster too.
    Good observation, Obelix!

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

My guppies live fine with out a heater at the mo too.

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

My gups beta and palties dont have a heater but the tanks always like 75 degrees

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

I have my tank at about 80 degrees without a heater, though if it cools down i get a major disease infestation on my fish.

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ur fish get diseases! oh **** i need to get a heater before winter my tanks are in my basement it gets pretty cold :shock:

Please watch your language. This is a family site.