1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ~barking barking puppy!! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by tobyshome, Feb 18, 2010.

1. tobyshome

tobyshome New Member

Hello all...I would be so thrilled to hear any help for a puppy who won't stop barking....he is fine unless he sees someone and we aren't playing with him. He is 14 weeks now....a shih-poo.
    We would be SO glad for any suggestions!!
    thanks so much!!
    Toby's mommy:)

2. cool254

cool254 New Member

Ignore your dog's barking for as long as it takes him to stop. That means don't give him any attention at all while he's barking. Your attention only rewards him for being noisy. Don't talk to him, don't touch him, and don't even look at him. When he finally quiets, even to take a breath, reward him with a treat.

To be successful with this method, you must wait as long as it takes for him to stop barking. If he barks for an hour and you finally get so frustrated that you yell at him to be quiet, the next time he'll probably bark for an hour and a half. He learns that if he just barks long enough you'll give him attention.

3. April Andy

April Andy New Member

Hi!

Training your dog to bark less will take time, effort, practice, and consistency.

When humans or animals outside their immediate family enter their territory, some puppies bark to defend themselves. This barking is frequently caused by fear or a sense that their area or humans are in danger. This can be minimized by limiting what your dog can see. Limit his access to windows, doors, yards or places where he can encounter a lot of interactions.

When your dog barks because he's seeking attention, it is best not to reward his barking. It would help if you do not make him develop a habit of barking to get what he wants. Look for alternatives for your dog to communicate without barking. The secret is to ignore your dog's requests until he quits barking.

4. Holiiidayy

Holiiidayy New Member

I've found a gentle yet effective way to manage my dog's barking and wanted to share it with you. After figuring out why my dog was barking, I discovered the Rechargeable Ultrasonic Dog Repeller with LED Light. This tool uses ultrasonic sounds to quietly get my dog's attention and stop the barking—without any stress or harm.

It's rechargeable, comes with an LED light for visibility, and is super easy to use. It's been a great addition to our training, and I highly recommend it for anyone facing similar challenges.

For more info, check out the 2023 Release Pet Dog Repeller Ultrasonic Dog Training Device - Rechargeable Anti Dog Bark Deterrent Device with LED Flashlight.

Keen to hear if others have tried this or have different strategies for managing barking!