1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help, birds dying!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by DogmaMa, Aug 25, 2004.

1. DogmaMa

DogmaMa New Member

ive kept finches and cockatiels for years, with no health issues. I bought a group of birds from a co-worker, a canary, a pair of gouldians, societys and weavers. One of the societys was fluffed up and died right after purchase. Since then, one after another my birds have done this and died, first the female gouldian(URGH!!), then a weaver, now my male canary..they just suddenly fluff and die, with little warning. Does this sound familiar to anyone, im very poor right now and cant afford one of the super expensive vets we have around here...could this be psittacosis?? Ive been sick to, with a cough, hard time breathing, rash, on and off, and they say its zoonotic...am i crazy?

2. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

:shock: i would deffinately not wait! call up the vet and tell them what's been going on. :(

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Sorry to hear about your situation the problem with getting new birds is they should be kept away from other birds for atleast 2weeks till you can make sure they are healthy and free from illness.

I would have an avian vet check all the birds out or even i know this sounds awful but if it happens to another bird ring an avian vet ask if you can take it in for an autopsy to find out the cause...

There can be any number of reason for this happening could you ask you co-worker about the health and background of the birds.

But definatly get an avian vet to check them over...

Mike

4. kem

kem New Member

if you can't afford to go to an avian vet you should do some research. the internet and books have lotz of sources that might help you and i have found that there is always something that might be able to help. also you should know that even the common cold can kill a bird. but it is most likely that they got it from the new birds. keep a very close eye on them. sorry about your losses and good luck! (oh ya, and keep us posted!)

5. DogmaMa

DogmaMa New Member

Thanks guys, iv found a nice vet whos going to defer my payments if its something expensive...i dont see anymore birds coming down with it, but its been like 2 weeks betwen each death, so i dont know. I saved the body of the canary to take to be autopsied, as you suggested...stay tuned :(