1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Does anyone have any ideas? Chihuahua mom's panting...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by vickatat, Aug 30, 2004.

1. vickatat

vickatat New Member

OK yes I am a newbie here, and this looks like the kind of board where people actually answer (or try) or at least offer sympathy, even if they can't help. In advance, thanks to all who respond. Here's what I'm dealing with. I breed and raise chihuahuas in a backyard (actually more like underfoot in the house) way. I am not new at this, and I was raised on a farm, but have limited experience with problems. To date, out of 6 females with 1 litter apiece (except for this one and her mom) I have lost no moms and only 3 puppies; one had a cleft palate and I couldn't get the tube stuff shipped here quick enough, and the others were a little big for the mom, I was not home, husband didn't call me & left her alone despite warnings. I'm proud of my record, but losing even those three still hurts. This however, has me stumped (and sleepless). This new mom had a litter of two in late February. No problems at all. Due to a certain person's lack of consideration, she was bred again next cycle. I had my vet to attempt an early abort, which either didn't work, or my husband let her out again and wouldn't admit it. Anyhow, she had 4 and they are now 11 days. No problems whelping, babies fat. Mom, I've taken to the vet twice. She seems to be showing symtoms of low calcium. Oral calcium gluconate stopped the panting/trembling/uncoordination/elevated temp 3 times, even though blood tests showed normal, no infection, etc. All she has shown is a little dehydration. Last nite for the 3rd time since whelping, she was very restless, trembling, got glassy eyed & lastly started stiffening up. I bombarded (upped) her calcium dose again, gave her aspirin and covered her tummy with a damp washcloth, which stopped the symptoms and we all went to sleep. But she refused to eat until this evening & had NO milk until around 9 pm. Right now, she is panting and drifting in & out of sleep & still restless. I took the puppies off her until this evening & then only let them nurse a little to calm her down so she would eat. (yes I supplemented them) I started her on Baytril yesterday, and the vet sent us home with clavamox at 5 pm, since I refused to allow a spay at this time. No puppies were retained, & no placentas; I had my other vet in another state see her at 2 days because of this same thing. Can ANYONE suggest what the problem is, what should be done & how quick? At this point, I think she needed a hormone injection to help the uterus shrink & finish emptying, but try telling that to vets in this area! Basically this is what I am seeing: the more she nurses them, the worse her symptoms get. Should I give the antibiotic another day before going out of my mind? Someone please help, I have to go back to work and my husband has surgery on Tuesday. I don't want to lose her while I have to be gone.

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

you should not be breeding dogs if you cant control your husband *. and if you cant look after the mum then give her to someone who can.

with the medical side none of us can help you. i dont think anyone here is prepared to give advice even if they knew what the problem was, its out of our hands. you need to take her to a different vet asap.

* normally id say you shouldnt be breeding dogs at all, but i wouldnt want to put you into a tizz now, would i?

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok first of all, WHo in their right mind would breed dogs and leave them outside??? Especially Chis???

You need to find the bitch a sutable vet. Aparently the ones your taking them to are not qualified to handle this type of disorder.
    Secondly. If your breeding just to anything (and that what you said you and your husband were doing, just turning the bitches out....with a male)

Frankly your a back yard breeder, breeding poor quality chis with health problems, and now you've got a guilt trip.

I do have to comend you for attempting to find a cure, but your not going to unless you seek out a qualified vet and have her spayed. Its neglect and animal cruelty to continue breeding a bitch when it clearly inflicts health risks and pain to her.

YOu may think I"m being rude, impolite, and down right mean, but let me tell you. I see this problem day in and day out. I have to put up with the pain and suffering of these animals that people like you (who obviously do it for the money and just don't give a damn) inflict on these helpless animals.

And besides if your such a good BREEDER... WTF was your husband thinking? who would do such a thing, and why would anyone breed a bitch back after her first whelp heat??? DUH!!!!! she needs time to rest. Regain her composure.

What she's experiancing is her body shutting down. She has apparently been bred one to many times consecutively and her body can not keep up.

Plainly stated. Shame on you!

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

What's done is done, people. She needs help for this little girl now, so if anyone (Mike??) can offer any help, please do so!

Rather than jumping on her which has probably already driven her away where she will continue to breed her dogs as she has been, how about a little constructive advice on how to proceed in the future? Information about breeding in general, how to do it, what dogs to use, precautions to take, when to NOT do it, etc, would be MUCH more helpful than attacking her for things she has already done. We have all messed up in the past with one pet or another, and our animals have had to deal with the consequences. Let's help her to change the future, not regret the past!!

Vickatat, you are getting some hostility here because a lot of people on this board deal with rescues and strays. They see close up every day the results of irresponsible breeding. Watching animals suffer is heartbreaking and taking care of them is backbreaking, and the problem just seems to go on and on.

Please, reconsider breeding. If you want to continue, find a responsible way to do it - involving health testing, pedigreed dogs, breeding appropriate-aged dogs only a couple times in their lifetime, lining up owners BEFORE the dog is bred, etc. Breeding is not a money-maker when done correctly - it is a labor of love in an attempt to improve on the line of dogs. It takes a lot of time, effort, and money and if you don't have these things you should not be doing it.

For your little girl right now, can you get her to a different vet? Or maybe call one in the nearest big city to ask for advice?

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Like I said. She needs to find a vet and find one fast. Supliment the puppies with a milk replacer and bottle feed them ever 1-2 hours.
    The female needs to be spayed an d put on a high calorie diet.

I honestly with out seeing the dog and knowing the "true" situation at hand, can not give much advise other than saying take her to the vet and get the puppies off her. 4 puppies is alot for a small chi.

6. Jas

Jas New Member

It may be that your vet is not overly knowledgeable in the area of reproduction. I think your best bet is to phone around and look for a vet that specializes in reproduction & breeding - there are vets that do. Then get her in ASAP dont wait.

I'm not a vet but the symptoms you describe sound similar to eclampsia (milk fever). When a bitches own calcium is expended this can lead to eclampsia. Also if you are supplementing with calcium and giving her too much it can cause eclampsia. What food are you feeding her? If nursing is causing eclampsia you must take the puppies off and hand feed them instead - like you said symptoms seem to worsen after nursing. Similar symptoms can be caused from low blood sugar - did anyone check this out?

You said no placentas were retained? Do you mean after she had the pups or no placentas period? Her high temperature, refusal to eat and dehydration are symptoms of a uterine infection (metritis). Any thick or foul discharge? What is her temp? The vets were certian there were no pups or placentas remaining?

Along with contacting a vet ASAP have you called her breeder? Perhaps the breeder has dealt with something similar in your dogs dam or in her lines.

Unfortunately it looks like you are going to have to take some time off work or arrange for someone experienced to come in and look after the pups. That is what responsible breeding is all about. Otherwise you may lose the dam & pups!

Hope the poor Mom is better soon. :(

Jas

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thank you, Sams and Jas. Hoepfully that will get her started in the right direction. I have absolutely no experience with breeding! I can recognize a puppy but that's about it. :)