1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help - Gerbil's Teeth!

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by tulip*, Oct 3, 2004.

1. tulip*

tulip* New Member

I have a real problem with my gerbil's teeth. He's 2 and a half, but this has only been a problem in the last few months. I noticed that he seems to be growing extra teeth on the lower set of teeth, I know they are new because they grow through white..but surely if he isn't actually losing any teeth - he shouldn't be growing more? He seems very uncomfortable and keeps clawing in his mouth and grinding. I don't know what to do, since he keeps on growing new teeth, some fall out and grow again! Its also chipping his top teeth and making the gums bleed.. :( Can anyone give me any help/advice?? and is it worth going to a vet to put him under anaesthetic to sort the teeth out?.. because I know gerbils dont always survive this. Help please!

2. nern

nern New Member

I've never heard of such a thing. If he seems to be in pain I would probably at least call the vet and see what, if anything, can be done to help him. Good luck.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI i would have the vet look him over as this is very unusual for them to regrow when they have fallen out.

Does he have things he can chew on to keep his teeth short small blocks of wood things like that are great for nawing on and filing there teeth down also the chewing helps keep there teeth clean.

Apples,carrots, things that are hard are all good for the teeth.

Mike

4. FashionOffender

FashionOffender New Member

HI! I have 7 gerbils of my own. They are a real hastle trust me. The teeth problem doesnt sound to be all that serious. My gerbils is three and he is a big boy. He has teeth problems too. I would call the vet and make an opp. What he/she can do is just grind down the teeth for you. And im saying this because your gerbil is 2 years old an thats old for a gerbil. Older gerbils do tend to have problems with their teeth. And once you grind the teeth down, give him hard things to chew on. Like reptile log hideouts. Those work great for grinding down teeth. And trust me he with shred the thing, but it will take a while. I hope this helps.

- animal freak