1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help, i do not want to give my dog up!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by kerznef, Apr 8, 2005.

1. kerznef

kerznef New Member

I have three dogs, a 10 year cock-a-poo, a mini-poo and a shih tzu. About 6 month ago my mini poo ( 3 years old) has destroyed my house. he uriniates on everything, and i mean EVERYTHING. The bottom of my TV is covered because he kept at it. I put a broom on the back step andhe got it. He has been tested, tried clomicalm and amitryptiline, if anyone has any idea please!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am supposed to take him to small dog rescue two days from now and this is breaking my heart, I love my dogs.

2. lil96

lil96 New Member

have you tried crate trainning? Or maybe lots of puppy pads?

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Are you spraying down the area he pees on with Simple Solution or another enzyme type of liquid that will kill any smell thats there, so's he won't remark the same spot????????? Soak the carpet floor, whatever he's peed on. let it seep into the carpet and dry on its own, don't soak it up. If you have maybe you did not soak it enough.
    IS he neutered? That can help. Crate training also, crate him, then when he comes out take him to his desinated spot, run him for a good while. When you can't watch him crate him. He will get used to it.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I was thinking the same about if hes neutered, you say hes been tested...do you mean tested for a bladder infection. What happened 6 months ago when this started? any changes? new pet into the house? any other people move in....or move out? Friends dog coming over? Are you out of the house for longer periods of time through work or college or anything? If your sure about his age, he is neutered and youve ruled out bladder infection or any other health problems then usually something has triggered off the change in behaviour. Crating and some 'behavour modification' will work if its done right, but it can take time and a lot of patience and consistency from you. Getting the scent of the urine out is crucial and with crating you can stop the destruction, if theres no one with him -hes crated, if theres someone there he can be monitored.
    Clomicalm should be used in conjunction with behaviour modification, you should have improvements in the behaviour within 2 weeks although Ive seen some in less than that, it can make a difference without the behaviour modification but from what Ive seen personally (so this may not always be the case) the changes are not that significant and it will take longer. From what I know it shouldnt be used indefinitely.
    Amitryptiline - I dont know much about it apart from what Ive read and it seems that this is generally used in dogs when the seperation anxiety involves chewing on themselves or excessively grooming themselves......just my opinion and experience though.

5. kerznef

kerznef New Member

i don't want to give him up

He is neutered, and has no infecton. I am sure that this is a territorial issue. I have teenagers, and I am sure that he did like the visitors. I am willing to get new carpets and furniture, and that is what it will take to remove the odor. But I cannot do that every 6 months. He has been tested and tested, and the medicine actually made him crazier, so I took him off of it. I would hate to crate him, but the thought of giving him up makes me sick. I am so afraid of someone taking him and mistreating him

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

2 things, when you change the carpets, make sure its the underly also and depending on what kind of flooring is underneath it should also be sealed before putting the new carpet in if its really bad, wood and concrete are porous so the urine could be in there also and the smell will eventually come back up. Is it possible to put tile down? I know a lot of people who have done that and it can be done for a similar price to decent carpeting, then add some not so expensive rugs. Just a thought.
    Now for the crate. A lot of people dont like the idea of a crate as they think its cruel, its not. Dogs like 'cave type' places to sleep and relax in, ever see a dog go under a table, bed etc to sleep. They usually will object to being locked in initially but usually that will pass (Ive seen dogs stop objecting within a day or two).
    Hers a link for a site that has some good information both for housetraining and at the bottom of that page is a link for seperation anxiety.
    Also I have read that an adverse reaction to Amitriptyline in dogs can be hyperexcitability, Havent seen this in Clomicalm.

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/cratetraining.htm

7. lil96

lil96 New Member

What brand tv, vcr, dvd player do you have? Just wondering bc whle in Munich, luther peed on the dvd player and sat reciever (ruined the sat rec) I always thought he did it bc the it sat on floor was tile (and the rest of the house was carpet or hard wood floor)But a few days ago I noticed he peed on the dvd player and cable box. (brand new stuff, not the same stuff!) So I have been wondering if he is jealolus of the tv or there is something in this brand of dvd players (bc it is the same brand and model).

8. kerznef

kerznef New Member

help, i don't want to give him up

I don't think it is the tv ( magnavox) since he does it on everything. I am considering laminate flooring, but not sure I can afford it. I am supposed to take him tomorrow and cannot stand it. I read the articles, but don;t have a week or two to introduce him to the crate. I am beside myself

9. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I dont know why the urgency of you having to give him up tomorrow but there is no 'quick fix' for this. When I say quick fix I mean overnight or a couple of days, whenever a behavioural problem has gone on for a while it can take a while to correct. Is it possible for you to take him to a 'day care' or daytime boarding depending on finances, if you have to go out to work or something and then maybe you could work with him when your home, it would take some serious commitment on your part, you said you have teenagers, are they old enough to help you out with training?

Sorry your going through this but other than whats already been suggested I cant think of anything else. :(

10. kerznef

kerznef New Member

i don't want to give him up

day care is a pretty good idea, it is one tht I did not think of. It is definitely a behavior problem, I am going to start to crate him as much as I hate the idea. And I have him sleeping with me at night, not the best idea for a good night sleep but he has not gone in the house since I started it. I am beginning to think he is just too much poodle.

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Its great that you can give him a bit more time. The reason I suggested your teens helping out if possible is for a few reasons, 1. it will occasionally give you a break and some 'hands on support' as long as your all working consistently. I do understand how you feel about the crate, a lot of people feel the same way, I personally, think of them as an asset.....after my dogs or any others Ive worked with have got used to them they will usually use them as their sleeping place, relaxation area...without having the door closed. And 2. Less time for him in a crate if your not home but your teens are, they will understand the 'rules' as well as your dog.
    You may find that a change of surroundings (in a day care) might well make a difference with his destructive habits.
    Good luck.

12. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Don't do the laminate! If pee or any liquid gets into the joints, it will buckle. Been there, done that.

Or if you don't want to put him in a crate, set up a "safe room". Like a bathroom or kitchen with washable floors. My weenie dogs mark everything too (females!) and they have to remain in the kitchen when I'm not home.