1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!! I have an EMERGENCEY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by cateyes1184, Apr 21, 2004.

1. cateyes1184

cateyes1184 New Member

My cat brought me a gift this morning on my way out the door to go to work. it was a sparrow that she had cought! I felt horible, but when i took it from her, I realized that the bird was alive, and very much so....the only thing's wrong with it is that it's got a tiny scratch on it's belly, and the other thing is, it can't fly. it's only a baby, i think it must have been learning how to fly...he/she has most of it's adult feathers, but a little bit of fuzzy feathers. what can i do to help this little guy/girl get better so
    that i can release it??
    ----> WHAT DO I FEED IT? <-----

how old do you think it is, and is there any way to tell if it is a malle or female???

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'd check with your local SPCA. Many of them have programs to rehab wild animals and release them.

When my neighbor's cat tore down a nest with 3 babies in it they called ours and they took them in, raised them and then released them back into our neighborhood.

3. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

if the spca cant help u(i dont know why they wouldnt but just in case) they have wild bird formula stuff at pet stores just ask one of the staff... i once found a baby bird that my kitten caught and spent alot of $$ on tring to nurse it back to health and it ended up dying after a week... we ont have any wild bird rescues etc.... unless u pay 4 them to take ur bird which in my case it was $50 if i was to take it to the shelters all they told me they would do it put it to sleep..i couldnt see putting the baby down so i tried to help it but it didnt work... i kept the baby in a box w/ a blanket and fed it sooo many times a day and night its a hard job and lost many hours of sleep.... sooo if there is some place that can help and take the bird then thats what i would do b/c they have the experience... good luck and keep us posted....

4. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Same advice here. If the SPCA wont take him in, or if you prefer to do it yourself, then there are wild bird formulas you can feed it until it is old enough to be released.

My history teacher recently adopted a wild baby bird and is hand raising it.

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Be carefull with how much you handle it. If it adapts to humans it may not do too well in the wild. My dad cut down a tree once with 3 baby birds and the mother wouldent come back. We raised them all, feed them mushed up worms but when we realeased them they wouldent leave, wouldent eat on their own. I would try and get it into a wildlife rescue of some sort they are pretty good at rehabilitating wild animals.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yeah, the SPCA is the way to go! Post on how it went, cause that 's a lucky bird! Good luck!