1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help is my parakeet pregnant?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by misifu, May 20, 2004.

1. misifu

misifu New Member

can someone please help me i have 4 parakeets i've had them for about 5months now.one of my parakeets used to be very quiet ,calm and never used to bite but for the past few weeks she's been biting ,does'nt want to be touched and her chest looks swollen and feels hard to the touch.can someone please tell what they think is wrong with my bird im worried and concerned.any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you!,lora :)

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi birds are not pregnant they lay eggs and if she was due to lay eggs it would be under her tail where there would be a little lump.

If her crop (chest) is swollen and hard i would have her checked over by an avian vet as this sounds like signs of a crop infection.

What are you feeding the birds is she the only one with this problem.
    Other signs of illness are birds that sit with fluffed up feathers when the temp in the room is not cold, Birds that are very quiet if otherwise noisey and playful.
    Also birds that are usually very tame and all of a sudden turn agressive is also a sign something is wrong.
    Give an avian vet a call and see what they suggest.

mike

3. misifu

misifu New Member

hello thanx for your response.i have 3 other parakeets,and they seem very playful.my parakeet jessica also is playing and chirping,but my only concern was that she doe'snt want to be touched by me or the family.and that she looks swollen to me.the food that im feeding them is called "fiesta'for parakeets,along with honey treats,or tropical treats that i put in their cages twice a week.regular bird food every 2 days.i change there water bowls twice daily and always make sure they're water is fresh and clean at all times.but i will Give an avian vet a call and see what they suggest. thank you! :)