1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help me breed my guppies

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sincerely_lor, Dec 2, 2006.

1. sincerely_lor

sincerely_lor New Member

i have a question. Can i breed my feeder guppies when there is like 15 of them in one single 10 gallon tank? please help i'm new to these fishes. Seems like they are not producing any little juniors at all. tell me if you know!!!!!!!
    - Tony

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are you going to be breeding them to use as feeders?

The whole point of breeding your own feeders is to keep them as healthy as possible (otherwise they're no better than the ones from the LFS). You cannot do that in an overstocked tank and 15 guppies in a 10 gallon tank is overstocked. If you want to properly stock guppies, you'd need to allot something like 1 gallon/male and 1 1/2 - 2 gallons/female. So if you only had 1 male and 4 females (a good ratio for breeding), you'd need 7 or 8 gallons just for those adults. You'd also need more space to grow out the fry. So for that reason, I would not recomend breeding guppies in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. But if you already have 15 adults, you're probably going to need an even bigger tank than that.

-Chelle

3. Hai

Hai New Member

Tony, listen to t_chelle16. Plus we must have some plants for the fries to hide. I think they are already reproducing, it is just that all the fries are eaten.