1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP!!!! More Jaimmee trouble!!!!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by petsareawesome, Apr 25, 2005.

1. petsareawesome

petsareawesome New Member

I first thought Jaimmee was a girl, then I thought he or she was a girl because the cere changed color and so on and now I got trixie [definately a girl] and jaimmee's cere is now definately bluish and there are like pecking each others beaks and acting all weird like they like each other and i'm not sure what to do! if jaimmee is a boy and they like each other what if they have baby parakeets???? do i have to buy special equipment???? what do i do????

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sounds like your she is actually a he if it has a blueish cere.

Both birds need to be over 12months old before allowing them to breed.
    If your not planning on breeding and allowing them to have babies its advisable to remove one of the birds and place in a cage of there own otherwise they will mate and could end up with eggs and if fertile chicks.

Young or first time parent birds usually end up losing there clutch, There is also the risk of egg binding in young and old female birds which is life threatening if not noiticed and treated ASAP.

If you plan on breeding make sure that they have cuttlefish bone and mineral block in there cage at all times as this helps build up the females calcium levels ready for egg laying.
    They will need 10-14hours of light a day and 10-12hours dark so they can sleep.

They will need to be placed in a room where there is not alot of noise as this puts the birds on edge and they will panic when laying eggs.

They will need to be introduced to soft foods such as fruit and vegtables, Mashed up boiled egg with the shell this gives extra calcium, Wholewheat Bread, Boiled Brown Rice, Boiled Pasta, There is also an egg food which you can feed the birds which can be bought from any good petstore it is designed to handfeed and wean chicks its called either EMP superiour egg food or CeDe egg food, This can be given to them dry or with a little water added.

They should be together atleast 6months before giving them a nest box as this gives them some time to form a bond which will result in better success of raising a family.

Once a nest box is introduced the female will usually lay her 1st egg about 10days later.
    The nestneeds to be lined with about 2inch's of plain woodshavings or shredded black and white paper or non bleached shredded paper towels.

They usually pull it out of the nest but simply place it back in and once the first egg arrives they usually leave it.
    When you do have eggs in the nest try not to disturb them as they will abandon the nest and the eggs.

Female birds become very aggressive when egg laying or have chicks in the nest so be prepared for a nasty bite if you go into the nest while she is in it.

They lay 1 egg every 2nd day and do not start incubating the eggs until the 2nd or 3rd egg has been laid some do not start incubating until the whole clutch has nearly been laid.
    Budgies ( Parakeets ) lay 4-6 eggs but sometimes there can be upto 10.
    Incubation period is between 16-19days.

I do not recommend trying to hand feed parakeet babies as the risk of choking them is high most birds make great parents if not disturbed too much.

Mike