1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! MY PUPPY IS PREGNANT!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by eng_mast_2, Jul 20, 2004.

1. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

ive had dogs before, but never a SMALL dog... Its her first time and im pretty sure shes a mutt... her body style and everything is like a boxer... but shes SHORT... she chews alot so might still be a puppy... can anyone help me to know if there may be any complications or how long it will take... or even if the puppies will live... i know i should take her to the vet, but my mom wont let me coz this dog is new... (shes a stray) and we dont have that much money right now... if anyone can help in anyway... THANKS!!!

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

How long have you had this dog? Do you have any idea how old she is? There are tons of complications that go along with a dog being pregnant but even more for a puppy that is having puppys. Smaller dogs also are at a higher risk when delivering puppys as well from everything I have read. And since I am assuming you dont know how big the father is it could be a major problem with her not being able to deliver the pups. Honestly the best thing for this dog would be either an abortion or you take her to a rescue group or animal control. She needs to be seen by a vet and if you cant afford it you may need to rehome her. Do you have any local shelters in your area? I dont mean to sound harsh but she may die delivering or reject the puppies and they are not easy to raise from birth. If you guys are not able to take her to a vet as heartbreaking as it is you need to get her with someone that can help her. Best of luck for your puppy.

3. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

well, my mom LOVES animals, the only thing is she wont go out of her way to bring her to the vet... We can call our vet, and if something BUIG BAD or DANGEROUS for her happens, my mom WILL bring her to the vet... otherwise no... lol does that make sense?? i think i confused myself... but yeah... lol i think shes JUST getting out of her puppy stage, shes an outside dog, but when shes a little further along in the pregnancy, ill let her stay inside and take care of her...

Ill do whatever i can to keep her and if possible... the puppies...

oh yeah... the only BIG dog around here is my dog, and hes too old... he tried, but it just wouldnt happen... all other dogs are around her size

4. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I understand what you are saying about your mom but this would be an emergency. By the time you guys figure out something is wrong it may be too late to save her. Is the big dog you are refering too fixed? The only reason I ask is because even older dogs can still reproduce. Plus if she is still a puppy she is way too young to have puppies. She is not mature enough to take care of a litter of puppies. And no offence but if your mom considers it going out of her way to take the dog to the vet how is she going to feel about having to bottle feed a little of puppies every few hours and keeping them warm and alive? I understand you are trying to help the puppy but it may be in her best intrest to be taken to a shelter where people are prepared for this or are willing to take her to the vet and get the help she needs.

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Argh! I was under the impression from your first post that when the dog came to you she was pregnant. But you actually saw your dog trying to mate with her? Sorry do not mean to be so blunt but the dog needs to be rehomed.
    You said if something bad happened to the dog your mom would take the dog to the vet. Well, if the dog is indeed still a puppy and is pregnant then something bad has happened. She could suffer serious complications during delivery especially if she is a small breed of dog. As they are notorious for having complications during birth.
    I understand you are a kid and that most of this is out of your control. But maybe you could talk to your mom and ask her to contact some local rescues regarding the dog. A rescue would be the perfect place for her. She would be able to get proper vet care as well as a loving caring home.

6. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

okay sorry for not WORDING it right, BUT... what i meant was were not going to OPERATE or whatever on her unless we have to... we ARE going to have her checked out, and as i said before... i live in the country, theres alot of dogs out here, and this one is a stray... i wasnt watching my dog mate her, but i saw him trying.. and yes, since hes WAY bigger than her, we tryed to stop him... our neighbors have A LOT of dogs... (personally, they shouldnt have them... they go out of there way to get a dog and then they dont take care of it... ) the father of the pups is most likely theirs...

oh and yeah.. i posted this to find out what i need to do FOR her, not with her... im 16 years old and ill pay for her to go to the vet... i really love this dog and i want to do whats best for it... oh yeah... my mom and (abusive) dad are kind of seperated yet stilll together... (complicated story) ... and my dads the one making all the disiccions (which he shouldnt be doing) but... yeah i WILL do everything possible to help her

7. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

hey, umm sorry im not much help on this i just wanted to say congrats.

8. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

well, thank ya ;)

oh yeah.....

She not REALLY small... only the size of a beagle... or a LITTLE bigger... just SMALL to me... (sorry bout that)

9. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I definitely want to help you. And I am sorry if you felt like I was badgering you. There is really not much you can do for the dog at this point except love her give her all the care she needs such as making sure she has a decent shelter fresh water and food. If your parents decide they do not want to keep the dog certainly let me know and I will do everything I can to help you get her rehomed. IM very sorry things are so difficult for you right now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

10. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

Hey, thanks... lol actually its kinda my fault.. coz i am really bad with words... i know that how i worded all that make us sound irrisponsible, but... arghh... i still dont know how to say it... lol sorry bout that and thank you...

oh yeah.... is a beagle a small dog??? :eek:

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

couple of things you need to read - BTW it would be easier now to get the litter aborted and the dog spayed that deal with a possible C-section later on that will cost much much much more money. not too mention what it'll cost to deal with possibly ill puppies.
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flat ... bliss.html

BREED YOUR DOG ONLY IF . . .

It is purebred.

You got the dog from a reputable breeder.

You obtained a three to five generation pedigree with your dog.

There are at least four titled dogs in the last three generations (conformation, obedience, tracking, field, etc).

Your dog has a stable temperament.

The dog fits the breed standard.

Your dog is healthy and certified free of those genetic diseases common in your breed.

12. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

cant understand a damn thing you are saying. give the dog up.

13. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

yeah... right, well... any way...

thats what it says on http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fap.html
    i was wondering EXACTLY what that means... my dog's heat cycle ended about a week and a half to two weeks ago and her breasts are already starting to get bigger... does that even have anything to do with it..? im confused... [/quote]

14. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Ok i will put it all in simple terms and trust me as i am a breeder but i breed german shepherds.

THings that can and will go wrong with an adult dog during mating and then pregnancy.

1st, During mating infections can pass through the vulva and into the uterus resulting in a masiive infection resulting if not caught in time death.

2nd, while a male dog has mounted and started to tie there can be complications where the vulva splits resulting in infections.

3rd. While tied the female could attempt to pull away which also can result in damage but this time to both dogs.

During pregnancy.

Pregnancy puts alot of strain and demand on an adult dog during pregnancy smaller dogs suffer more and most need a C-section to deliver the pups.

She could loose the litter before she actually delivers them.
    She can go onto have a phantom pregnancy which in itself can cause problems with her temperament.

Whelping the pups.

During the whelp ( giving birth ) anything can go wrong puppies being too large to pass through the birth canal which if seen straight away will result in the death of the female and her pups.

The female could kill or reject as some novice bitches do.

There is a risk i Eclampsia which is fatal if not treated immediatly and again some dogs never show signs until its too late.

If not all puppies are born or any placenta's are left in the uterus they will decompose resutling in a very ill bitch and even death.

These are just some of the things that can and will go wrong.
    Now thats for an adult now treble the risks and thats how bad it will be for your puppy.

No dog should be allowed to have puppies under the age of 2yrs old as they are not adults till then.

I am sorry dont mean to be blunt but if your mum loves animals so much then she will not put this poor girl through this and why did she not have her spayed if she is an outside dog this is only going to happen again.

Also just because your dog is old does not mean he didnt do the job they DO NOT need a tie to inpregnante all he hads to do its produce enough sperm to have entered the vulva and her uterine muscle will do the rest.

So its the kindest and safest thing to have this poor girl to the vets and the pregnancy terminate.

But i have a feeling this wont happen and its a case of this litter going to be born one way or another
    Due to the fact she is a cross breed and you dont know what she is crossed with then you know nothing about if any of the breed she mixed with have known whelping or genetic problems.

Also so can your mum kill the litter if they have things wrong with them like Cleft Palate, Limbs Missing, Eyes Missing, Fluid on there brains.

sorry but this post is so annoying the fact that any caring loving owner would allow there puppy to become pregnant and not abort the litter.

We do know your trying your best for this dog but if she goes ahead with the pregnancy it could go wrong and then there will be know dog.
    Good luck in what you decide and i hope she is ok we are always here if you need more help and advice.

Mike

15. eng_mast_2

eng_mast_2 New Member

are you even trying to understand what im saying??? I POSTED THIS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A DOG HAVING PUPPIES!!

when i was 7 my dog had pups... thats it... since then the only dogs we've ever had were males.... okay...?

well, i mean... like i said, this dog is a stray and i thought it was probably someone elses (and probably is) but i posted this to find out what to do about her... were in the country and these people around here have so many dogs and are always getting more... i thought it was one of theirs.... but obviously its not...

so we really couldnt do anything to prevent it... im going to take her to our vet to check her out and see what he thinks we should do...

Thanks, anyways...

Heather

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If money is an issue, the cheapest thing to do would be to take her to the vet and get the pregnancy terminated. A pregnancy in a small, young dog can end up costing you a TON of money if there are complications later on.

I realize she was a stray, but if you put her in your yard then that was assuming a responsibility to care for her. If you left her outside while she was in heat, then obviously she is going to end up pregnant. How could there be any doubt?

The best thing and cheapest would have been to get her spayed before any of this happened. Now you have no choice but to abort the litter, or to let her have them and risk her death, the death of the puppies, or GIANT vet bills trying to save her or the puppies.

Jamiya