1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Need advice from the multi-dog owners!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by AC from TO, Apr 23, 2004.

1. AC from TO

AC from TO New Member

:0010:

Am I crazy?? I found out today that I might have a line my dream dog!! I've always wanted a dogue de bordeaux, and a very reputable breeder that I've been in touch with for a few years has contacted me to let me know that she has a 6 month old pupp that was returned with deamodex. This is the first dog in her line that has ever shown outword signs of it. I think she might give him to me for free!!

Now whats the problem right??? I have 2 dogs already. Stella, my 2 year old saintie, I'm not worried about. She loves everyone and everything, has all her training done and is pretty much good to go.....Peter on the other hand is only 7 months and still going through training. I've never had two puppies at that age together. It's such an important age that I don't want to take on too much. Anyone done it before??

2. EmmesMom

EmmesMom New Member

yes I have two dogs that are about the same age!! I do not know what your dogs are? sorry. But mine are a poodle and a sheltie. They LOVE each other and get a long GREAT!! In MHO when you get dogs close in age they bond together. It is when you get dogs FAR apart in age that they fight!! I have that case too :roll: I now have a mutt that is far away from their age and they do NOT want anything to do with the younger dog.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I have 2 dogs they get along great but I dont have the experience of 2 ata 6 months of age. One thing raises a big flag though, Why was the dog given back? Just because of mange, thats sounds kind of fishy.

#1 make sure it wsnt turned back because of behavioral issues
    #2 what is the sex of the pup. Some say you dont want 2 females, but because your older female is a sweetie and the pup is a male, maybe wont pose a problem, heopfully some others can chime in that have expierence with this, now off to see what kind of dog this is :D

honeybear

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I am back, wow, they look kind of like bull mastffs!

honeybear

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I think getting young dogs together usually works out. What temperment are the ones you have and what is the temperment of the bordeux? If the female is the dominate one and petey and the new one is not there won't be any issues over whos boss.

Emmsmom, your dogs sound similar to mine. I have a poodle and a possible JRT-Border collie.

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I think getting young dogs together usually works out. What temperment are the ones you have and what is the temperment of the bordeux? If the female is the dominate one and petey and the new one is not there won't be any issues over whos boss.

Emmsmom, your dogs sound similar to mine. I have a poodle and a possible JRT-Border collie.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It will be a LOT of work, trying to train both dogs. Does the new dog have any training at all? How are you doing with the existing dog?

It sort of depends on their personalities as well. If it's something you want to do, though, you will find a way! Just realize you will need to find time to spend with each dog by itself. On the up side, once the dogs know the commands well, you have built-in distractions!

Jamiya

8. AC from TO

AC from TO New Member

Stella, my 2 yr old saintie could not care less what dogs are around her or if they want to be boss....Peter is pushy with other dogs but will submit when told off by a more dominant dog. I still have alot of talking to do with the breeder about the new pupps disposition. When I spoke to her, I had called her about something un-related and was at work so I didn't have alot of time to chat. I plan to introduce all the dogs before I decide for sure, but unfortunately, because of the distance I can't be traveling back and forth for more than one or two intro's. As far as the reason for return, I have been looking into this breeder and her background for 3 years and have met some of her dogs at shows. She was looking to rehome the dog with me because of my animal background and to be sure that the dog would be taken care of so I don't think she would lie to me about something I would surely call her on.

Basicly, I still have alot of things to look in to about this specific pupp, and I know that I could find a way, but I just want to make sure that I will be providing the best home possible for this dog and don't want any dog in my house to be neglected b/c I have too many. My husband is very much into our dogs and all of our spare time is spent doing something with them......I mean we get take out if we want to eat out and we don't even go to the movies....we work and so any time we have we spend with them. I think we can do it.... :?

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It sounds like you are doing all the research and thinking it through carefully. I'm sure you will make the right decision! Hopefully it will become more apparent after meeting the new pup whether it will work out with your existing dogs.

Jamiya