1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED! I am thinking of buying some turtles (see pics)

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by kristisanchez, Apr 5, 2004.

1. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

:? My co-worker and I have been talking about buying turtles and maybe matting them. Well I found someone from a add in the pet store who has two females I was told they maybe about 10-12 years old. Maybe they are two old to mate but they are cute :)

I went and looked at two females and took some pictures. Please see the pictures below. They are durty in the picutres (because of the rain I think)

If anyone knows anything about these turtles PLEASE HELP!! A.S.A.P. I think I may know what types they are but are uncertain

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ONE TURTLE INSIDE HER CLOSED SHELL
    [​IMG]

HERE SHE IS AGAIN WALKING
    [​IMG]

THIS IS THE SAME TURTLE UP CLOSE
    [​IMG]

THIS IS THE SECOND TURTLE
    [​IMG]

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

SORRY MY PICTURES DID NOT COME OUT THE FIRST TIME

2. steven24681

steven24681 New Member

sorry , cant see the pictures, but i hope they are the same breed :D

i dont know what kind of turtle ur looking at but most turtles live for a very long time so i'm pretty sure they'll mate when they are ready.

if u r getting water turtles then u need a really big glass tank with a heater and filter and rocks, so u'll need to spend lots. u have to change the tank every few days too and it'll take a lot of energy. turtles like their water clean.

if what ur getting is land turtles then it's easier :) all u need is a back yard

hope it helped :D

o and btw, two females cant mate..:D:D:D:D:D

3. pompeii

pompeii New Member

I'm sorry, but if you don't even know what types those are you have no business thinking of purchasing with the attempt to begin "matting" them.

Turtles are not as easy to work with as one would think, and vet expenses can easily get quite high. Along with licensing - you will be spending a bundle to begin your ahh... venture.

If you get into any illegal animals (you'll know what I mean once you do some research) you could risk quite a bit - as much as jail time even.

4. steven24681

steven24681 New Member

u can get in jail for buying turtles under 4 inches? or...i dunno what other laws are there for turtles

5. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Thanks everyone. I re-did the pictures you should be able to see them now in my first posting.

ONE IS A ORNATE TURTLE. THE OTHER IS A WESTERN TURTLE. ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE TURTLES???????

6. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

I am not sure if the females could even have babies because they are so old. But I did not want to mate them to proffit. But because I love animales and I would love to see the babies grow. I know someone years ago whos turtles had babies many time and they had to keep the eggs the same way themother had layed them and they had to be under heat lamps. I think this would be fasastining to watch and be a part of. I really just have always want a turtle. BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE I WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE AND PROPERLY PROVIDE FOR THE TURTLE(S) BEFORE MAKING A DESICION.

I need to make my yard suttable for them before buying them. So any suggestions would be greatly appreated.

I KNOW TWO FEMALES CAN NOT MATE. MY CO-WORKER AND I TALKED ABOU ONE OF US GETTING A MALE AND ONE A FEMALE. THEN WE WOULD TRY TO MATE THEM. THEN I FOUND SOMEONE WANTING TO SELL TWO FEMALES. -SORRY IF I WAS NOT CLEAR!!!!!!

7. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

:eek: I am so happy we bought the turtles last weekend. They seem to love their new home. They are very cute and one eats from our hands (the other is a little shy, but I hope that changes over time).

Does anyone have any advice????????

8. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

9. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

OneWolfsDream: THANK YOU I WILL READ AND STUDY THESE SITES. I APPRIATE YOUR HELP.

ALL HELP IS APPRIATED!

10. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

no prob, its great to see i helped :eek: if you need anymore just msg me and i would be more than happy to help :D

11. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

THANK YOU. This weekeend I will look in depth into the websites. I will ask if I need anything.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!