1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help on tank setup

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by big-pig-666, Jan 19, 2005.

1. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

im going to make a new tank in the near future and i would like to know if this set of tank mates would work: 2 albino oscars, 1 pacu, 2 colbat blue zebras, one GAR of some sort, 1 arrowana, 2 rbp's and a black P?

Plz no wrong information or "guesses"

ALSO any other suggested tank mates

Thanks, GREATLY APPRICIATED

-Justin

2. Loach

Loach New Member

wut size of tank?

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

no, that definantly would not work.....two oscars would need a 75 gallon together.....a full grown arrowanna needs a 300 gallon tank, a pacu needs a 300 plus gallon tank, im not sure on gars, but i think they get quite large, the cobalts would probably be swallowed by the oscars or the P's, and the RBPs might cause a little trouble and get into fights with the oscars, and last but not least, black P's are solitary and will not tolerate anything else in a tank with them......maybe all of us on here can help you decide on different setup for your tank that would workout? firstoff, what size tank are you looking to get? second, what kind of fish do you want....aggressive community, single aggressvie, peaceful community?

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i must agree with grnlemonade you have way to many big fish and aggressive fish in one tank
    for us to help you we need to know what size tank you have and what type of fish you want

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

I think its time for a moderator to lock this thread before it gets out of control. I hope that was not a serious question. -tl

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I dont see why they should lock it?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm going to leave this open for the time being.

As for the fish list:

2 oscars - need at least 100 gallons
    1 pacu - pacus really should be kept in groups of at least 3. They get 24" - 36" (depending on the species) so you'd need at least 1000 gallons for 3 of them. At least 300 gallons for one but it wouldn't be very happy.
    2 colbat blue zebras - these are african rift lake cichlids and are incompatible with the other fish due to their size, aggression level, diet, water type requirements, and tank decor requirements. They should also be kept with at least 3 or 4 females/male and to do that, you'd need about 30 gallons.
    GAR of some sort - there's lots of different species of gars so you're going to have to be more specific.
    1 arrowana - these generally reach about 3' so you're looking at another 200+ gallons
    2 rbp's - with just two, they're going to be very skittish or possibly try to kill eachother. If you keep several (6+) they'll be less skittish, but will likely kill all the other fish. Also, for just 2, you should have about 50 gallon. For 6, you're looking at about 120 gallons
    a black P - extremely aggressive and should be kept alone. Also gets quite large and would need about a 75 gallon tank.

So, that brings your total up to 1300 gallons for the oscars, arowana, pacu (assuming you keep 3). 75 - 120 gallons for 2 - 6 rbp's. 75 for the black piranha. And 30 gallons for the africans. And that's not including the gar.

I suggest you re-think your stocking list.

-Chelle