1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help Plz my parakeet just laid a egg first time for her

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by armandndeb, Apr 9, 2006.

1. armandndeb

armandndeb New Member

I just noticed one of my female keets laid a egg, she was in the nest and the other female was being aggresive toward her, so I finally got the female out and shut the cage door for the other female as they were free flying , I have another cage up there but the others won,t go in, I have 2 males, do the males need to interact with the female that has laid the egg still or is it okay for her to be alone, the egg was large.or should I try and cage up the other female and let the males free fly, I don,t know which male she mated with at this time, how will I be able to tell as both males seem to be interested in her, all answers and help would be greatly apprecaited at this time asap.

Thank you
    Deb

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

You need to cage one of the males up with the female with the egg as she will need his help during the incubation and raising period.

Try her with one male see if she takes to him if not try the other male that way you will know who her mate is.

Keep the other birds away from her cage as she will eat the eggs and if not she may kill her babies because of the other birds.

Do not worry if she dont stay in her nest for the next couple of days only popping in and out this is normal and she wont stay inthe full time until the 2nd or 3rd egg has been laid in the nest then she will start to incubate.

Even if she is staying in there alot with this one egg she may be sitting on the egg but not incubating so at the moment she just sitting guard.

The male helps help buy either taking food and water to her or he will sit on the eggs while the female goes out to relieve herself and eat then she will go straight back to her nest throwing the male out.

Usually the only time she will allow the male in the nest with her is on a night but even then its not uncommon for the female to stop him from coming in.

Mike

3. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

Cage up the two that mated . That is the best idea for them . Also put the egg in there with them. :) Hope it helps !