1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help/question about my Betta

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Maraya, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Maraya

Maraya New Member

Whats it mean when my betta is really still......looks dead but isn't...just really still.......then out of the blue....he'll go back to normal and swish and swim around.......stare at me thru the glass wiggling and saying hi..........then later....he'll be reeeeeeeeeallly still again.

Should i be worried? he's still at either the top of the bowl or bottom.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

He's most likely just resting.

But just to be on the safe side, how big is his tank (did you get something bigger)? What are the readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

-Chelle

3. Maraya

Maraya New Member

its a gallon (all i can afford) fish tank....one you'd put two gold fish in. i change his water every three days...change the rocks too.....and put the one or two droplettes of conditioner in the water.....and he's fed lightly twice a day.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

He's probably just resting, then.

And on a little side note:
    No goldfish should be put in a tank that small.

-Chelle

5. Maraya

Maraya New Member

he's not a goldfish...he's a betta. i don't have any goldfish.

i bought my betta a BIG gallon bowl and filled it with goodies AND HE HATED IT!! HELLLLP! why? i put him back in his smaller bowl...and he LOVED it and came to life again.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

he didn't like the big bowl and got so still alllll night..like he was dead...til i put him back into his smaller bowl......then he was happy.

do bettas like small spaces or something? i'm so confused. i wanna keep the little guy happy but i'm shocked he loves the smaller bowl...and not the bigger one with all the goodies.....(rocks...lil trees.) please advise if you have any idea why my lil guy....likes the lil bowl. now i'm gonna have to get goldfish.....so i have something in the bigger bowl i bought.

lol. :| :mrgreen:

6. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

She's talking about how you described the bowl as something you would put two goldfish in it. You shouldn't put any goldfish in anything less than 20 gallons. They release a very high amount of ammonia and cannot survive in a gallon bowl.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

You really shouldn't get goldfish for a bowl. You'd need around 20 gallons atleast for one goldfish.

I've found with my bettas (especially the ones that are just brought home) they seem to not be too sure about a larger bowl (I guess they're so used to being kept in small containers) but once you put them in and give them time to adjust they'll eventually start to get used to their new environment.

Right now I have a rescue betta (starved, half dead little thing with fin rot that was being kept in a peanut butter jar) that did the exact same thing you described but now he'll swim around and explore his tank.

8. Maraya

Maraya New Member

oh wow..thanks for all your fish advice everyone!....i really do appreciate it!!! i have two bettas now...bought a new one yesterday......they both have their own individual smaller bowls....with pretty rocks and tiny trees....they're both happy now......i put the bowls across the room from eachother so they can't see eachother ......lol........any betta links for me to check out? please post them.

and once again..thanks for all your advice...betta wise....goldfish wise......oh yeah...any goldie links i'd like too.

:D :eek:

9. Maraya

Maraya New Member

oh okay. got ya! :D :wink: