1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP Sick Dwark Gouriamis

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Nov 17, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

Today when I got Home our dwarf gouriamis was very fat and his scales were sticking out from his body.
    I know it is bloat or something like that but what medicine will fix it.
    Please help he is our oldest fish and we love him very much.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Unfortunatly, it sounds like dropsy which is 99.9% fatal in tropical fish. You can try an antibiotic like Maracyn 2, but odds are it's not going to work.

-Chelle

3. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

If it was your gourami, what would you do? This is quite a sad time for us. He's our orginial fish from starting this whole hobbie. We call him Grandma and we'd hate to lose him.

What are some causes of Dropsy and is it true gouramis are suceptable?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Dropsy is basically kidney failure (generally caused by a bacterial infection). The kidney isn't functioning so the body fills up with fluid.

I can't make the final decision for you but if you do decide to euthanize, here's a really good article on the humane methods:
    http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

If you try to medicate, you can go ahead and double dose the Maracyn 2. And if you can find some medicated food (like Medigold) that would be better than an antibiotic in the water.

-Chelle