1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help w/ First Planted Tank with Shrimp

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Opicana, May 14, 2006.

1. Opicana

Opicana New Member

Hey folks,
    Thanks to the suggestion of someone @ this forum, I am turning my 3 gallon tank into a nano planted tank with shrimp. However, I am still pretty new to all this, and I have never had a planted tank OR shrimp!
    I am desperate need of some help...anything from general tips to a step-by-step guide; or a link to a site, would be appreciated!

How many shrimp should I get? What kind is good for a beginner?

What types of plants? How many?

What type of substrate should I use?

Where do I find out what the ideal conditions (pH, temp, etc...) are for each species?

Thanks in advance!
    ~Opicana~

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never actually kept shrimp, but I think ghost shrimp are pretty readily available and not too difficult to keep. In a heavily planted 3 gallon, if you want to aim for a really low maintenance tank, I'd probably go with 3 or 4.

For plants, I'd try to find some smaller low-light plants. What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it tall?

I've had really good luck with wendtii (red, green, & bronze). I just added some anacharis to my 20 gallon and it's doing pretty good. Java ferns & java mosses tend to be pretty easy plants and I've heard that anubias species are pretty easy.

Personally, the only thing I do special for my plants is have extra light on the tank (3 watts/gallon). I don't use any CO2, fertilizer, or special substrate. But I'm not going to guarantee that will work for anyone else.

This site looks like it should have a ton of useful info.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/articles.php

And this site has info on a lot of the more common aquarium plants.
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=768

-Chelle

3. Opicana

Opicana New Member

Thanks for your help! You have been very informative. I bookmarked those sites to refer to later. I am finding that websites are good for general reference, but if you have questions, these forums are the way to go!

Just by eyeballing it, I would say the tank is about 11" tall, about 10" wide and 4" deep.

What is considered a "heavily" planted tank?

Thanks again for all your help!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

11" tall is pretty good; it will allow you to get some of the taller plants.

I'd consider . . .

Something like this very, very, heavily planted:
    [​IMG]

Something like this is heavily planted:
    [​IMG]

This would be moderately planted:
    [​IMG]

And lightly planted:
    [​IMG]

-Chelle