1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! What can I do???

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by catwoman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. catwoman

catwoman New Member

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on the board. Lots of things have happened. I think I wrote a while back that one of our dogs that came to us as a stray, had puppies. Nine to be exact. We thought she might have been pregnant but wasn't for sure. Well, she was.

We could have had her spayed and aborted the puppies, but I was dead set against it. To me, I wanted to give the puppies a chance to live and get a good home.

Knowing that we could not take care of 9 more dogs, I seeked out a no kill rescue group that is not terribly far from where we live.

We met at an inbetween town and gave the puppies and the mother dog to the lady. She gave us a paper that said something about giving up the rights to the mother dog. She said it was only necessary for them to be able to give her medical attention if needed during their care. That it was not to give her up for adoption. Knowing how hard it was for me to part with the mother dog, the lady volunteered and asked if after the puppies were weaned, would we want the mother dog back? Of COURSE!! I was so much more relieved.

Well, time came and went, and she called us one day and asked if we still wanted her back. Let me back up a bit, the day we gave her the mom and puppies, another stray came to our house. A red cocker spaniel. He kept hanging around and hanging around, we finally started feeding him and he's made us his home. He was very scared and shy at first, and is jut now coming around.

Back to the story, knowing that we took on another dog, and we were strapped for cash at the time of the lady's phone call, my husband asked her to try and find a home for her. Not really wanting to, but at the time, we didn't have the money to pay for the adoption fee to get her back. We told her that if she couldn't find a home within 45 days, we would defentely take her back.

Well, I have been totally depressed, moping around. My husband couldn't figure out what was wrong. I just kept telling nothing, it will pass. But it hadn't. I finally broke down and told him I wanted the dog back. I miss her terribly.

He called the lady about 2 weeks ago and asked if the dog was still available. She said yes, and he told her we would like to have her back. She said that would be fine. He told her we could pick her up on the 18th of this month. She said that would be okay, to give her a call closer to that date.

Now, this past Wednesday, she calls and asks me are we sure we still want her. That there is a lady that met the dog and really wants her and is really excited about getting her. That she had a dog of this same mix before that died and she really loved that dog. I told her that was unfortunate, but I really miss the dog and have been crying my eyes out over it, counting down the days to pick her up.

The lady said that another member of their organization already accepted this lady's application. She didn't sound very optomistic as to us getting her back.

I am so devistated. I Love this dog. I helped her with the birth of her puppies and I want her back.

The board members were suppose to take a vote and let us know. They have not, they do not return our phone calls. They do not answer when we call them, we just get a recording.

I feel like I'm being punished for doing a good deed. Like I said, I could have had the puppies aborted or let them be born and stand outside a grocery store with a sign, free puppies to just anyone. But I didn't, I thought I was doing the right thing by notifying a no kill rescue.

What can I do????? I am sooooo upset

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Do you have a local tv stattion that does the "on your side" kind of reporting? Who is charge of running this shelter? Who is it funded by? Contact your local representatives or local newspaper. First of all, write everything down that happened including the no phone calls returned and mail it to them so you have a written record to them.

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I know you may not want to hear this and IM sorry to say it but...In all actuality you gave up the dog when you handed her and the puppies over. I guess I don't understand why you could not care for the momma and babies and then when the puppies were old enough release only them to the rescue? Sorry but to me it sounds like you were undecided through the whole process. And to a rescue that is a huge RED flag.
    It's great that you contacted a rescue and cared enough to make sure the puppies would be taken care of but...It sounds as if the momma dog and puppies were in this woman's care for sometime? During this time did she feed them and provide them with medical care? Or did you provide for them? From a rescue/foster moms point of view the dog would have been considered as mine once you relinquished your rights in the very beginning. And then the fact that she then called you to see if you wanted to resume ownership of the dog and you turned her down would have been the final answer for me. IM sorry I in no way me to be rude or hurtful to you.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like this dog has found a good home, though, as hard as that may be for you. With all that happened, perhaps it was just not the right time for you and she was meant to be elsewhere. I know that's hard to hear.

There are many, many dogs out there needing a good home. I know they won't be the same as this girl was, but perhaps in time you could find one to help fill the void. However, do make sure you have the time and money to care for another dog before you commit to it. Your circumstances need to be stable for the sake of the dog.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Your first concern at the beginning of this was you couldn't afford to take on another pet - very admirable of you and also responsible.

IF you told the rescue this they probably feel that you still can't.

Also you have found another dog (or a dog found you and you are giving it a good home) the other adopter had a dog like the one you nicely put into rescue's hands...I would think you would feel good about giving this person the opportunity to be able to adopt a dog that is much like one she is probably missing a lot.

By saving this mother dog and giving her pups a chance at life you have made someone happy - and probably the chance for the mom dog to go to a good home. It's sad you miss her and all...but you have a dog in your life now. Can you afford 2 dogs? Vaccines, medical emergencies, etc. Will the cocker you took in want the other dog around - will they accept each other?

Yes it's sad....but I think letting dog #1 go to the other home and not raising a ruckus would be an extremely unselfish thing for you to do. Trying to get her back would be selfish. You don't even really know the dog that well and I would worry about the 2 dogs getting along.

Why rock the boat with 2 dogs now have good homes.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

What about one of the pups? If you truly have the time and money for another dog, is one of her pups available still?

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

well since it sounds lije the rescue place found a good home for her, I would let her go and concentrate on your new addition that found you, sounds like it needs lots of luv and attention right now

honeybear